getting dos games to run from the hard drive of a 286...

8Bit, 16bit, Atari, Commodore, Apple, Spectrum, Acorn, TSR. All now defunked computer systems.

getting dos games to run from the hard drive of a 286...

Postby ValleyGirrl1984 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 10:53 pm

Hi everyone,

I am just finishing building a 1992, IBM model 30 - 286 AT for a client and need a little help / advice. I got everything working hardware wise on it... I have windows 3.0 and dos 5.0 running on it...

But i have totally forgotten -- it's been sooo long i am blanking big time - how the file stuff works... i am trying to get all the games i downloaded from archive.org (dos games mostly) to run (after I copy them to) the hard drive... they are in the following formats:

.ima
.img
.cp2
.dsk
.pdi

What do i do with these formats? I am a assuming they are archive formats... like a .rar or .zip but I can't get any modern compression/decompression programs to be able to read them and unpack them.. What part am I missing? I really don't want to make a bazillion disks... I wanted to put all these games on the hard drive and be able to run them all from there...

Is this even possible? Do I have to convert these files with something? I tried doing searches on the internet but I guess this technology is old enough no one is posting about it and there are no real websites to go to for info - except this one lol . Advice please?

Ya, I know, I suppose I should download them from here (I might just do that still) - but won't they be in the same type of format? Or would they be in a format I could install to the hard drive after copying them to the hard drive?

Alrighty, I'll just be quiet now and let the adults speak lol... Thanks again!
:clap:
ValleyGirrl1984
Next LVL Up at : 5

Fav System: Not Sure

Re: getting dos games to run from the hard drive of a 286...

Postby Hot Trout » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:16 pm

if you want to use these on a real 286 with a real harddisk then you will need them in zip format most likely. You seem to have some formats that are not x86 format.

Where did you download these?
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby ValleyGirrl1984 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 11:52 pm

You missed it in my original post :0 - archive.org

Yes, I do want to use them on a real 286... but in zipped format dos won't know what to do with them...

i mean there is no built in unzipper in dos 5.0 or windows 3.0 - that technology came slightly later...

so i go back to my original question - what do i do with these files to get them to run on a real 286?

thanks!
ValleyGirrl1984

Postby ValleyGirrl1984 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 12:07 am

Ok... I found a program called winimage which DOES uncompress all the .im* files which is the bulk of them - so i am getting there :0 I know what to do with them from there...

BUT that does still leave me the problem of what to do with the .cp2 and .pdi files? ideas??? Thanks again!!!!
ValleyGirrl1984

Postby PMJPlay » Fri Sep 12, 2014 2:50 pm

The CP2 file type is primarily associated with 'Compel Show' by Click2learn, Inc.. Compel is now bundled with other multimedia software and no longer available alone.

The Portable Database Image, also known as .pdi file, is a proprietary loss-less format designed for analytics, publishing and syndication of complex data. The .pdi format, generation process, and GUI, were invented by Dr. Reimar Hofmann and Dr. Michael Haft from Siemens AG Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning.

The .pdi footprint is typically 100 to 1000 times smaller than the footprint normally found in structured data files or database systems, and is rendered without any loss of detail. The word portable in the name derives from the idea that the smaller footprint allows a .pdi runs in the main memory of a user's’ computer without disk or network input/output (IO).

The .pdi is a digitally rights protected, encrypted data source that can be accessed by any ODBO (OLE DB for OLAP) compliant OLAP tool, including Microsoft Excel and the Panoratio's Explorer GUI.

The .pdi presents detailed discrete or binned data without pre-calculation or cardinality reduction. It allows for real-time correlation and relationship exploration of unrestricted bounds — throughout all dimensions. They (.pdi’s) have been tested in excess of 5,000 dimensions and 500 million rows of information, with query response times in the .1 to 8 second range.

Additionally, because of patented techniques used in .pdi generation, patterns found in the data are summarily exposed, allowing for instant predictive and descriptive data mining. Yield optimizations, segmentation, outcome optimizations and simulations are all dynamically supported by the .pdi format. Users are constantly presented with the most changed and most highly correlated dimensions affected in every query as discovered in the patterns of the historical data.
PMJPlay
Curator
Curator
Next LVL Up at : 1250

Postby crustyasp46 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 4:17 pm

Alzabo wrote:The CP2 file type is primarily associated with 'Compel Show' by Click2learn, Inc.. Compel is now bundled with other multimedia software and no longer available alone.

The Portable Database Image, also known as .pdi file, is a proprietary loss-less format designed for analytics, publishing and syndication of complex data. The .pdi format, generation process, and GUI, were invented by Dr. Reimar Hofmann and Dr. Michael Haft from Siemens AG Artificial Intelligence/Machine Learning.

The .pdi footprint is typically 100 to 1000 times smaller than the footprint normally found in structured data files or database systems, and is rendered without any loss of detail. The word portable in the name derives from the idea that the smaller footprint allows a .pdi runs in the main memory of a user's’ computer without disk or network input/output (IO).

The .pdi is a digitally rights protected, encrypted data source that can be accessed by any ODBO (OLE DB for OLAP) compliant OLAP tool, including Microsoft Excel and the Panoratio's Explorer GUI.

The .pdi presents detailed discrete or binned data without pre-calculation or cardinality reduction. It allows for real-time correlation and relationship exploration of unrestricted bounds — throughout all dimensions. They (.pdi’s) have been tested in excess of 5,000 dimensions and 500 million rows of information, with query response times in the .1 to 8 second range.

Additionally, because of patented techniques used in .pdi generation, patterns found in the data are summarily exposed, allowing for instant predictive and descriptive data mining. Yield optimizations, segmentation, outcome optimizations and simulations are all dynamically supported by the .pdi format. Users are constantly presented with the most changed and most highly correlated dimensions affected in every query as discovered in the patterns of the historical data.

Where the heck did you find this :?: :?: And secondly, what ih hell does it mean :?: :?: :? :goodpost:
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Postby Scott Running Bear » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:50 pm

I was wondering that myself.
Scott Running Bear
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 15
Next LVL Up at : 15

Fav System: Apple IIe

Postby PMJPlay » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:59 am

Google :freakout:
PMJPlay
Curator
Curator

Postby nightshade » Wed Sep 24, 2014 10:30 am

no offense but couldnt most of that stuff (games) be found at places like gog and underdogs? personally id of told them just use dos box on a normal pc ........i mean if ya actually had the disks....
"theres no point it telling me the wisdom of a fool cant and wont set me free"-new order
"its always easier and usually better to get forgiveness than permission"-various
nightshade
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 170
Next LVL Up at : 170

Fav System: all systems

Postby crustyasp46 » Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:59 pm

nightshade wrote:no offense but couldnt most of that stuff (games) be found at places like gog and underdogs? personally id of told them just use dos box on a normal pc ........i mean if ya actually had the disks....

While most of your games and programs can be found on gog and underdogs, or used in DOSbox, there is still a large faction of those that have the original hardware, and get immense pleasure of using the original hardware. As ValleyGirrl1984 stated, she has just rebuilt a 1992, IBM model 30 - 286 AT, and is trying to get programs to run on it. The interest of using other sources to run the software, other than the original, installed on the original hardware would be nonexistent.
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy

Return to Retro Computing