Hundreds of vintage Computers,

8Bit, 16bit, Atari, Commodore, Apple, Spectrum, Acorn, TSR. All now defunked computer systems.

Re: Hundreds of vintage Computers,

Postby crustyasp46 » Fri May 10, 2013 12:31 pm

Hot Trout wrote:This just gets better and better. The IBM portable in the above picture is a very rare item and one to be cherished. You have made a very serious investment with your haul. I hope your family appreciate just how much this is all worth. If you were to take the time to seperate each item, clean and then put it on ebay, you could make a small fortune. I am serious, what I have seen is worth thousands of dollars at current ebay rates.

Keep the pictures coming, this thread always makes my day. :good: :cheers:

I have had comments from family members, both good and bad, I appreciate the good and ignore the bad. I have not given much thought to what is valuable or not, not that I am rich, just that I look at everything that is here as enjoyment and fun. The things that work make me happier than a pig in doo-doo. The things that don't work are a future challenge to get working. The things I don't know or recognize I try to find out about. The extras and doubles I hope are tradeable for items in the future I may want for something that I have that I would like to enhance. It just is an opportunity to keep myself active and the grey matter ticking, with an aspect of the world that I love, and have always been keen on. Now, it is big time reality and time to play. :D

Thanks for the kind comments, the support is where it counts , from my wife, Patti, and those who share my happiness . :thumbup:
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Postby Dragon Mech » Fri May 10, 2013 3:29 pm

wow crusty!! you're going to have fun trying out those atari games. and it looks like there are some fun titles there too. some of those pc games look like they would run very well on my computer. oh, and this time i rememberd to put plastic wrap over my keyboard before i started to look at this thread. :D
Site Moderator
For the Glory of the Gamer Nation!
Dragon Mech
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Next LVL Up at : 630

Fav System: Too many to list here :D

Postby crustyasp46 » Fri May 10, 2013 8:03 pm

Dragon Mech wrote:wow crusty!! you're going to have fun trying out those atari games. and it looks like there are some fun titles there too. some of those pc games look like they would run very well on my computer. oh, and this time i rememberd to put plastic wrap over my keyboard before i started to look at this thread. :D

Plastic wrap.jpg
Dragon Mechs' Computer when here!
Plastic wrap.jpg (9.46 KiB) Viewed 4684 times
:lol:
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy

Postby Dragon Mech » Sat May 11, 2013 6:44 am

WAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :cheers: :cheers:
Site Moderator
Dragon Mech
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby crustyasp46 » Sun May 12, 2013 6:20 pm

ODDS&ENDS
ODDS&ENDS 001.JPG
ODDS&ENDS 002.JPG

IBM 5853 2400 bps MODEM
ODDS&ENDS2 001.JPG

ATARI SH204 Hard Drive
ODDS&ENDS2 002.JPG

A review from :
Code: Select all
http://www.atarimagazines.com/startv2n2/threedrives.html

THE ATARI SH204

The Atari SH204 hard disk drive consists of a 20.3 Mb hard disk, controller, interface, and power supply in one box--a rather hefty box measuring 7 inches by 15 inches by 3 1/2 inches. Where do you put a box that big? Although it's not quite the right size, I find it serves nicely as a monitor stand if you turn it sideways.

Like other Atari components, the power switch is on the back so you must either locate it so the back is accessible or use it in conjunction with a switchable power strip. Actually, I prefer the power strip arrangement, since the hard disk must be fired up for about 15 seconds before the CPU is turned on. A red LED on the front of the SH204 indicates when disk accesses are being made; there is no "Power On" indicator.

Setting up the SH204 is equally easy with a 5205T or 1040ST. It is connected to the computer with an interface cable that plugs in to the high-speed DMA channel. Once connected, you simply turn it on for 15 seconds to let it come up to speed, put the boot disk into floppy drive A, load the HDX program, and follow a fairly simple procedure to format and partition the disk.

The HDX menu contains four programs to format, partition, zero (erase), and mark bad sectors on the hard disk. Before you can do anything, you must format the hard disk and partition it. Partitioning means dividing the disk into separate logical disks. As the largest permissible logical disk size is 16 Mbs, you must partition the SH204 into at least two logical disks--but no more than four. The partitioning program provides eight preselected partitioning schemes (4-6-10, 10-10, 16-4, etc.) or you can design your own. Chances are you will find one of the preselected schemes satisfactory.

In order to access any logical drive other than the first (C), you must install the drives from the GEM desktop. The procedure for doing this is described in detail in the manual. After you install the partitions and save the desktop with the necessary drive icons (and menus, if you wish) showing, the hard disk will then boot up as you have specified whenever you turn on the system. As the boot software is not protected, you can copy it onto any floppy disk with which you wish to boot up. Unlike MSDOS systems, you cannot boot up directly from the hard disk, but you must have the autoboot program in floppy drive A.

The boot disk also comes with a program called "Ship" which parks the disk drive heads in a safe place for secure shipping and handling. This program must be run from a floppy disk.

A COMPREHENSIVE MANUAL

The manual contains a page of helpful notes and warnings. Here you learn that you must have TOS in ROM to run a hard disk, that you cannot have more than 40 directories (folders) and subdirectories in total on your ST, that you cannot copy one entire partition to another, and that a hard drive main directory can hold a maximum of 256 items.

The manual also describes how to set the DIP switches to address multiple hard disk drives. Unfortunately, it gives no clue as to how to hook up multiple drives other than to say, "additional hardware and software are required." Systems software enthusiasts will be pleased to note that Atari has included a 10-page appendix describing the command structure, operation codes, status structure and several other items incomprehensible to normal human beings.

What didn't I like? Well, the 24-inch cable severely restricts where the disk can be located. Forget about a shelf or the floor--it won't reach. Also, I'd like the power switch on the front along with a Power On indicator. And why is the box so large? Both Astra and Supra have proved it could be one-half the size. And while partitioning the disk is relatively easy, I would've preferred it to be shipped preformatted and partitioned along with a program to alter it if you want a different partitioning scheme.

But all in all, the HD204 is a physically solid unit, admirably fast, well documented, and, if months of heavy daily use are an indication, dependably reliable.

VTECH LASER COMPUMATE2
ODDS&ENDS 003.JPG

Most Common: US
Rarity (Euro): rare
Year: 1984
Comment: has a built in LCD display and works with 4 AA batteries.
CPU: Zilog Z80A
RAM / ROM: 4 kB / 8 kB
Colors: b/w
APPLE 20SC Hard Drive
ODDS&ENDS 004.JPG
ODDS&ENDS 005.JPG

From Wikipedia:

The Apple Hard Disk 20SC (not to be confused with the Apple Macintosh Hard Disk 20, the first hard drive manufactured by Apple exclusively for the original Macintosh floppy disk drive port interface) was Apple's first SCSI based hard drive for the Apple II family as well as the Macintosh and other third party computers using an industry standard SCSI interface.
IBM 3510 Hard Drive
ODDS&ENDS 006.JPG
ODDS&ENDS3 001.JPG
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy

Postby Dragon Mech » Sun May 12, 2013 7:31 pm

yay!! odd & ends!! lovely little odds & ends :) the compumate 2 looks like it might be a fun toy to play with.
Site Moderator
Dragon Mech
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby crustyasp46 » Sun May 12, 2013 8:47 pm

TANDY III - TANDY 4
Tandy 2 001.JPG
Top one, I already had.
Tandy 2 002.JPG
Tandy 2 006.JPG
Missing ↑key
Tandy 2 003.JPG
Tandy 2 007.JPG
Tandy 2 004.JPG
001.JPG
Missing M key
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy

Postby crustyasp46 » Mon May 13, 2013 1:23 am

ADAM COMPUTER
ADAM 001.JPG
Small unit, I believe, is expansion for Colecovision console as it has no cartridge slot
ADAM 004.JPG
ADAM 005.JPG
Keyboards - Joysticks
ADAM 006.JPG
Pamphlets
ADAM 007.JPG
Unfortunately only two printers as they have the power supply to the computer. Fortunately there IS a mod on the net to put the power supply to the computer, bypassing the printer.☻
ADAM 008.JPG
ADAM 009.JPG
ADAM 010.JPG
ADAM 011.JPG

One of the units pictured was already in my possession, complete unit. Also have many game carts and tapes repacked.
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy

Postby Dragon Mech » Mon May 13, 2013 9:06 am

some pretty niftty stuff crusty. those tandys look like they would be good for running early word processing or accounting programs. and that IBM 3510 CD Drive looks like it could be a removable hard drive dock instead of a cd drive.
Site Moderator
Dragon Mech
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby Hot Trout » Mon May 13, 2013 9:57 am

The IBM Hard DIsk is a nice and quite expensive item. The Coleco Adam stuff makes me a bit wobbly. Loving it.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Computing