Fujitsu FM-NEW7 & Megami Tensei

8Bit, 16bit, Atari, Commodore, Apple, Spectrum, Acorn, TSR. All now defunked computer systems.

Fujitsu FM-NEW7 & Megami Tensei

Postby kryptonaut » Thu Jan 20, 2022 8:32 pm

I acquired a Fujitsu FM-NEW7 off eBay a few months ago, and it's... odd? Interesting?

One thing I immediately noticed is that there is no port for a joystick without using an expansion card, despite documentation. Which card you ask? IDFK but there's a custom one I found here that I might try fabricating one day. The computer itself is beautiful IMO though F-BASIC is a bit of a pain as most commands are in katakana, though they are the same commands as Color BASIC. The computer did come with a few games, none of which caught my attention, but I chose to keep for their historical value.

Now *why* did I acquire such an odd system?

Two words: Megami Tensei.

I own the MSX, PC-88, and Famicom versions of the game so far, as well as the complementary computers/consoles for each (Honestly, I am kinda using the game as an excuse to get neat vintage computers, but I digress...). So, when I saw there was a FM-7 version of the game, I didn't do much research into the game itself and saved a few months for the FM-7 to try it out. If you know anything about the first Megami Tensei game, you already see where I'm going with this.

To my dismay, there doesn't seem to be a physical copy of the first Megami Tensei for the FM-7 on the planet! Apparently, it's kind of a ghost story amongst Megaten enthusiasts, as it seems to have been a port from the PC-88 version that became vaporware as soon as it was announced. Hearing that, I tried to play the PC-88 version on the FM-7, which went as you would have expected. Saddened, I dropped the idea for a while.

Until, that is, I stumbled upon this file on the FM-7 games list, and the whole reason I made an account on this forum.

Where did this file come from? Who had it in the first place? WHO HAS THE DISK OR TAPE GIVE IT TO OR I'LL RIP YO---

*ahem*

The file works perfectly in an FM-7 emulator (which, by the way, is a real pain in the ass to set up, PM me if you want the BIOS files because good luck finding them yourself). I want to try copying the file to either a tape or disk set in the future, but I need to buy an RS-232 interface cable for laptop beforehand.

In conclusion, just where the hell did this file come from?
kryptonaut
Next LVL Up at : 5
Next LVL Up at : 5

Fav System: Famicom
Steam ID: kryptonaut

Re: Fujitsu FM-NEW7 & Megami Tensei

Postby Hot Trout » Thu Mar 17, 2022 10:33 am

Firstly welcome to the site, I am pleased that you eventually found the only real rom site that exists anymore. All of those FM, 7,777,77AV rom images came from a collection that was posted up on the now defunct Pleasuredome private tracker site many years ago. I can not remember the users name and unfortunately I am not able to look it up because the entire site was removed. Over the years I have been privileged enough to receive, sometimes single rare roms and sometimes just individuals own small collections, every time I do I put them up here in the hope that someone, somewhere will need it, find it and enjoy it again. The entire purpose of this site since 1999 has been to try and preserve tape and disk images that by now are not working and may disappear for good. I will continue to do this for as long as I am able, if it means that just one more person finds a game or program that they were searching for.

If you want to help to say thanks, please spread the word and link back to us from as many different sites, forums and social media platforms as you can.

This made my day by the way, great to have helped someone.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Return to Retro Computing