Rare finds

Nintendo NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, Sega, SNK and all game console platforms considered retro.

Re: Rare finds

Postby owenrock » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:11 am

Ive got two things that come to mind...one is a rare find and one is a blessing.

The First thing I went into a closing game store in my area and they were selling everything at pretty much 50-75% off. I found a broken vectrex system.....I still bought it cause it was cool and a part of history, plus it was only 20 bucks

The other thing was I moved alot when I was a kid, and my mom couldnt afford storage so some of my stuff got stored at my aunts house ...well she ended up moving and accidentally took the stuff with her...I was older and didnt really realize or care at the time...but she recently contacted me and told me that she still had all that stuff in her attic and asked me what I wanted her to do with it....when I asked what it was she said it was some gaming systems and I lost it lol 15 years later and Im getting it all back...if you are wondering what it is it was about 6 boxes of the following

Commodore 64 with about 1,000 Floppy discs, Disc drive, keyboard still there
Atari 2600 with about 50 games, both paddles still there and the dial joystick to play breakout
NES with approx 250 games. Controller and Light Gun still there
SNES with approx 250 games. Both controllers still there
Sega Genesis with approx 100 games, both controllers still there

So I am one happy camper right now
owenrock
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 10

Fav System: Nintendo

Postby crustyasp46 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:20 am

The gaming gods were certainly looking over you. That is a fantasti happy story. :D :D :good:
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Postby Hot Trout » Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:47 pm

I love stories like that, they made me very happy. Classic old systems reunited with their owner after many years. It always reminds me of toy story, i imagine that your consoles have a little smile when they see their original owner come to use them again.

Welcome by the way, i dont think i had officially said hello yet.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby owenrock » Sun Feb 12, 2012 3:02 pm

thanks,,,this is an awesome site and one I will love and be a part of for many years....as long as its open lol

Yeah I now have the systems and have tested them all out with the exception of the commodore 64 cause i had to buy a video converter box off ebay. But the rest seem to be in working order
owenrock
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby daffy2 » Sun Feb 12, 2012 4:21 pm

Wow, super nice haul bother! Just FYI Owen, those switch boxes are a bit outdated. I prefer to use RCA phono plug adapters for this. You run the cord from the c64 into the adapter which turns it essentially into a coax plug that will attach to my HDTV. I get a very strong a clear signal like this. Far better than the original switchbox.
daffy2
Next LVL Up at : 60

Fav System: Atari 2600/Vectrex/C64/PC

Postby Hot Trout » Mon Feb 13, 2012 5:51 pm

I had a rare find of my own at the weekend. While searching through lots of boxes of old computers, software, consoles etc I stumbled across a box of brand new Atari 2600 carts. To make it even more exciting it was my own stuff that I was searching through and I had totally forgot having ever bought/swapped the carts.

I just sat down and started to go through them. Most are still sealed, all are unused and most are brand new. I have no idea as to the value of them but I was very please to have found them again.

DSC_0242.JPG
Closeup of some Atari 2600 Carts

DSC_0241.JPG
Atari 2600 carts
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby daffy2 » Mon Feb 13, 2012 7:08 pm

Good haul HT! Most of these are pretty common, some I don't recognize, but ones that I do recognize as being at least scarce to rare are Double Dragon, Oscars Trash Race, Kung Fu Superkicks, Off the Wall. I love finding this sort of stuff!
daffy2

Fav System: Atari 2600/Vectrex/C64/PC

Postby owenrock » Mon Feb 13, 2012 8:44 pm

really nice find there HT....always nice to find old unopened stuff
owenrock
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby marvin2002 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:43 pm

Hot Trout wrote:The biggest and best to date was when I stumbled upon over 1500 Atari 2600 carts, brand new and unopened since the 1980's. There were under some old carpets at a clearance warehouse store. They had been there and unsold since the 1980's until i cam along.

wow ... I wish I'd ever stumble across something like that :-)

I did buy ~10 atari 2600 Hotshots games NIB once though from a guy cleaning out his dad's old store for very very cheap ... but its been a few years now

around 2000 I used to go to flea markets every weekend picking up trunkloads of stuff ... even passed on boxed Intellivision systems ... nowadays all you can find on fleamarkets are the odd xbox games, nobody sells any "old" stuff anymore - I wonder if it all goes to ebay or if there is REALLY nothing left out there ?
marvin2002
Next LVL Up at : 15

Fav System: Not Sure

Postby marvin2002 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:48 pm

Hot Trout wrote:I love stories like that, they made me very happy. Classic old systems reunited with their owner after many years. It always reminds me of toy story, i imagine that your consoles have a little smile when they see their original owner come to use them again.

reminds me of a fellow collector here in Austria who actually one day found a Philips Videopac G7400 for sale on a local auction site that had a sticker on it he had put there when it was his 20 years ago ... obviously he bought it back even though he had a few of those systems bought in the last years already again :-)
marvin2002

Fav System: Not Sure

PreviousNext

Return to Retro Consoles