Rare finds

Nintendo NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, Sega, SNK and all game console platforms considered retro.

Rare finds

Postby stinow » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:20 pm

Place all your rare finds here!

Hi mates, yesterday I was at a 2nd hand store near where I work.
They had some dvds laying around, but in the corner of my eye I saw a familiar top of abox.
Appeared to be Doom for the Sega Saturn for ONE Euro in a 99% mint condition (sorry Kherr!).

Very pleased ith it although I don't own a Saturn anymore.

:thumbup:

Main PC: Intel i5 4670K - 8gb - GTX660 - 120gb Samsung SSD - 1x 2TB sata III
Shovel Knight Aracde: Intel i3 2100, 2gb, HD4350
Donkey Kong Arcade: E6350, 2gb, HD4350, 32gb sata III stick, 1x 320gb sata II
LAN PC: Intel NUC i3, 4gb ddr3, Intel HD3000
Retro PC: P1 166mhz, 64mb, Diamond Stealth II, Voodoo 2, ATA-66 700mb
"2001 - A Retro odyssee PC": P3 S 1.4Ghz, 768mb, LeadTek GF3 Ti500, Matrox G200+ (4x dvi), 3x Seagate 40gb ATA raid 5

NES ROMs
stinow
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 460

Fav System: SNES / Dreamcast / PC

Re: Rare finds

Postby Hot Trout » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:52 pm

This is a great thread to start. I have had many great finds over the years. The moment when you realise that you have just found something that not many people have ever seen.

The biggest and best to date was when I stumbled upon over 1500 Atari 2600 carts, brand new and unopened since the 1980's. There were under some old carpets at a clearance warehouse store. They had been there and unsold since the 1980's until i cam along.

Another great find was my Nintendo Famicom, Disk drive and disks that was given to me by a complete stranger.

I will think of a few more and post.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby stinow » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:26 am

Wow those carts indeed sound like an awesome find! Wow :thumbup:
Those are the days you remember...

The most awesome find I ever has was at a 'flee-market' in the small town where I was born.
When walking across the market, I noticed, in the corner of my eye, something that looked like an MB Vectrex; and it was. The woman selling it told me it was 'some kind of computer' and was not sure if it still worked.

She had about 10 games with it, boxes and lay-over sheets included. I asked her how much she wanted to have for that 'computer thingy' (evil me). Well, she asked €5,- for the lot.

DARN!

So I took it and had a HUGE smile on my face while I walked a few metres on. :mrgreen:
When @ home, I powered it on and every single game worked like a charm.

Only issue is.. I sold it about half a year later ( :headbang: ): needed the cash, so I'm not disappointed about that. Maybe I 'll find one again in my lifespan ;).

PS: congrats HT, on your new home-rig videocard! (it's ill :bow2:)

Main PC: Intel i5 4670K - 8gb - GTX660 - 120gb Samsung SSD - 1x 2TB sata III
Shovel Knight Aracde: Intel i3 2100, 2gb, HD4350
Donkey Kong Arcade: E6350, 2gb, HD4350, 32gb sata III stick, 1x 320gb sata II
LAN PC: Intel NUC i3, 4gb ddr3, Intel HD3000
Retro PC: P1 166mhz, 64mb, Diamond Stealth II, Voodoo 2, ATA-66 700mb
"2001 - A Retro odyssee PC": P3 S 1.4Ghz, 768mb, LeadTek GF3 Ti500, Matrox G200+ (4x dvi), 3x Seagate 40gb ATA raid 5

NES ROMs
stinow
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Fav System: SNES / Dreamcast / PC

Postby daffy2 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 4:55 am

I am so glad to hear that people are still finding some good stuff! :cheers:

I used to haunt places where I could find these things. I covered 5 states and collected a massive amount of good stuff over the years between 1993 and 2001 by hitting garage sales, thrift stores, and discount bins. I've kept the stuff I wanted, and sold the rest for far more than I paid either straight to collectors or via usenet, and later via ebay.

Back when finding this stuff was still common it was mostly considered junk of course, and you could get it for a song depending on where you lived. Usually thrown in boxes and sold for whatever someone would pay. Most even still worked. I still own one of every 2600 model released, and it was always great to get them for $1! Sometimes boxed! I've also found more Intellivisions, Colecovisions, C64, NES etc than you can shake a stick at. I always liked finding those colecovisions. If the power supply worked, you could sell it for more than a system itself.
I've managed to find 6 Vectrex systems over the years. I loved the Vectrex. I swear to God, kids would pay me a quarter to play games on that thing back in the day. Have a complete set of carts for it, but missing some of the overlays on some.
One of the rarest systems I've come across was the APF 1000 system. It worked, but I could never find any games aside from the one built in. That thing is RARE! I found 1 Mattel Aquarius, which I paid $3 for with a box of other parts. In the box was also an Intellivision Voice Synthesis Module and some Intellivision games which I guess they thought went with it. Addons like the voice modules were good finds, and I always snatched those up.

Games too were so fun to find. I've found nearly every Atari 2600 cartridge at one time or another. I still have a nearly complete collection of cartridges for 2600, and to a lesser extent Coleco and Intellivision and the 5200 and 7800s. I became an expert at opening those blasted 5200 controllers because they never worked right. The best way to get them working again was to use a pencil eraser, and by God I erased many controllers and got them working again before selling them for $20 a pair. Atari 5200 trackballs were good sellers when you could find them. 2600 Wico sticks were also good finds. Probably the best sticks made at that time.

Finding boxes and bags of games of every type was pretty common. Many, many were completely unopened. I found many rare 2600 games like Xonox single games and double enders, which I'd never even seen or heard of when they were released. Unopened Wizard games like Halloween, Texas Chainsaw Massacre. All the Atari Club games. I actually got one box of games which had chase the chuckwagon and tooth protectors in it! That family must have had a thing for mail in rebates. They were a little beat up, but you didn't see these very often. Never found any of the XXX rated 2600 carts in any lots I ever purchased.
Stuff I LOVED to find were cartridges for Atari the computers. You could get $20 easy for a bag of carts that the thrift stores sold for $1 or 2. Other good ones were Parker Bros carts. They could always be sold. The cartridges were cool, and they put out some good games. A lot on ebay of 10 common PB games like Frogger, Qbert, Popeye, etc was worth $10-$20 all day long, and considering I probably paid someone a dime each for them, I was pretty happy with that.

I really miss those days! The funnest thing was when you got a good haul, you had to go through it and test everything of course, and play the games you'd never seen or heard of. I'm still having a blast too! Along with my xbox 360, the Atari 2600 still sits connected to my TV ready to be cranked up at a moments notice. Once in awhile I'll see some old game system for sale, and cant help but take a look. Never know what you may find! :P
daffy2
Next LVL Up at : 60
Next LVL Up at : 60

Fav System: Atari 2600/Vectrex/C64/PC

Postby Kherr » Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:20 pm

Want to talk about rare finds? How about how I was in a store today and saw a used copy of Final Fantasy 3 for the SNES (USA Cart according to the label) when THE GAME NEVER CAME OUT outside of JAPAN. Wikipedia doesn't even know that there was a SNES release, and according to what Square Enix said, they never released a copy outside of Japan... yet here's a USA branded cart (the little xxx-xx-USA marker in the lower left corner of the label, found on all SNES games). WTF. >.>'

After digging around for a little bit I found out the game came out in 1994 in the US. Talk about secretive things. The game is expensive as hell... even this used SNES cart was 50 bucks. >.>'
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Next LVL Up at : 1800

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Postby Hot Trout » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:41 am

Nice find, did you buy it?

I also had a guy yesterday that is sending me every copy of .NET magazine from its launch. A very nice thing to do I thought.

Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby Kherr » Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:18 am

No, I didn't buy it because I don't have a use for it... Besides... $50 USD... That's too rich for my blood for a used SNES game, especially one that I'm not all that interested in. >.>'

It's a nice idea to own something that supposedly doesn't exist though... :freakout:
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Postby Hot Trout » Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:43 pm

I just picked up an XBOX with controller for £7. That was a nice little spare to have.

Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby crustyasp46 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 1:24 pm

Not necessarily the rarest find, but the most sentimental one I found. When I first met my wife, Patti, ( 1991 ) she was doing daycare, 18 kids. She had no computer, and I still had my old Adam computer, and I gave it to her for the kids to use. I think poor old Adam lasted about another 2 1/2 years and died.

About 7 years passed, when one of the kids she looked after came to the house, and asked if I would be interested in another Adam computer. He was working on a job renovating the old Consumers Distributing Store, ( a US-Canada based catalogue store, selling electronics, jewellery, and household goods.) He said to meet him there in the morning if I was interested.

I went there in the morning, and he took me to the back warehouse section, and in the corner was pile of junk, old packing boxes , parts of old shelving, and the gem an old dilapidated Adam computer box. It was really rough looking, but inside was a complete Adam, manual, tapes, totally complete. I doubted that it would work considering the shape of the box.

I took it home, hooked it up, plugged the beast in, crossed my fingers, and lo and behold the beast actually worked. Still, have it , and my original Adam, both working and used at times. ( The original Adam had a faulty power pack, common problem for the Adam).

Not that rare, but that resparked my interest and started my collection addiction.

adam-computer.jpg
adam-computer.jpg (41 KiB) Viewed 5789 times

1983: Coleco Adam Computer with Daisy Wheel Printer

The Coleco ADAM computer was introduced at the June 1983 Summer CES and was a remarkable value at $700 including a daisy wheel printer and tape storage. It could even be had for $100 less in a version called the Expansion Module No. 3 that turned an existing ColecoVision game console into an Adam computer. The system was unusual in being powered by the printer. Another unusual feature was a built-in word processor that would come up as the default application. The word processor could either send input to the printer as each character was typed (like a typewriter) or the document could be typed on the attached monitor and sent to the printer all at once like a regular computer.

Unfortunately the ADAM had reliability problems with the tape drive that almost forced Coleco into bankruptcy (it was saved for a while by the highly popular cabbage patch dolls). RCA was working on an interface to allow the ColecoVision game console and possibly the ADAM computer to work with the SJT400 CED player, but the cancellation of player manufacture in 1984 ended development, and the ADAM computer itself came to an end in 1985. But like CED, the ADAM has a following dedicated to its continued use.
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Postby Hot Trout » Thu Jan 19, 2012 5:23 pm

I would simply love an Adam for my collection. Unfortunately they never made it over the water and so are extremely rare here in the UK.

A fantastic looking and well made computer, great stuff.

Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Next

Return to Retro Consoles