Famicon to NES Adapter

Nintendo NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, Sega, SNK and all game console platforms considered retro.

Famicon to NES Adapter

Postby crustyasp46 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:11 pm

Recently at our good old Goodwill store I picked up some games on half price Friday. One game being a Famicon 52 in 1 game pac with NES adapter attached $1.02 cost. I was more intrigued by the adapter although the game pac was interesting.

Getting home , I did what I always do when I run across something new to me, got on the computer and started searching for information on the adapter.

Found a few interesting things about them, and how to acquire them.

Getting a Famicom-to-NES adapter

If you have any FC games but no FC to play them on, you probably want to get an adapter to play them with.. unfortunately, they're not that easy to find. However, for some reason (probably due to being rushed for the holiday season of 1985), Nintendo made cart production easier by not making new NES cart boards, but by using the same Famicom cart boards and simply fitting Famicom-to-NES adapters on them! Weird, eh? Now, all you have to to is remove the adapter and you have your very own to use! Here's how to do it:

1. Gyromite, Excitebike, Stack-Up, Hogan's Alley, Urban Champion, or other old Nintendo-made cart. The cart should feel slightly heavier than a normal Game Pak; that's the tip-off that there's an adapter inside.

2. You need a special screwdriver to open Nintendo cartridges, a 3.8mm security screwdriver bit.

3. After the cart is opened, look inside. What you may see (if you were right about the cart being heaver) is a Famicom board.. attached to another board, with a 72-pin output. This is the Famicom-to-NES adapter!

4. To test for weight difference in cartridges and you can't do t by feel or don't have scales, make your own simple scale.

Two pieces of wood, one three or four inches wide, six inches long, the other piece being a small piece of doweling 1/4 inch by about 8 inches long.

Mark the center spot of the dowel, tie a string at the two ends of dowel, tie a cartridge to these strings, Hold the thick board upright, place the dowel with the center mark on the board, and if one cartridge heaver it will lower.

If it does lower, you have probably found your Famcon-NES adapter. :D
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Re: Famicon to NES Adapter

Postby Dragon Mech » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:20 am

could you post a few pictures of the adapter and the screw? i was able to open my copy of hogan's alley with a flat-headed screwdriver and there wasn't an adapter in it.
Site Moderator
For the Glory of the Gamer Nation!
Dragon Mech
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Next LVL Up at : 630
Next LVL Up at : 630

Fav System: Too many to list here :D

Re: Famicon to NES Adapter

Postby lordwindowlicker » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:53 pm

I've heard tales of the internal converters in those carts, but I've never come across any in my travels.
lordwindowlicker
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 10
Next LVL Up at : 10

Fav System: NES

Return to Retro Consoles