Can anyone explain me about mame versions?

Nintendo NES, SNES, N64, Dreamcast, Sega, SNK and all game console platforms considered retro.

Can anyone explain me about mame versions?

Postby nanosev » Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:09 pm

I have a lot of roms of MAME 0.174 but I dont play it since a lot of time. Few days ago I realized that exists MAME 0.191, 0.210, 0.214 etc. I guess are updates of emulator but here's the question : updates to work games that doesnt work in previous versions? Or only to improve the emulator to play better the games that already exists? And 2nd question : the list of games for MAME is a closed list or currently still release games? Sorry for my ingorance about this platform but is the platform that I least play. Thanks.
nanosev
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 10

Fav System: ps1

Re: Can anyone explain me about mame versions?

Postby Hot Trout » Sat Nov 09, 2019 11:55 am

Each mame version normally contains a few fixes to existing roms and also a few new roms. The vast majority of the roms within each mame set does not change from set to set. Certain collections (MAME versions like 0.174) become a standard for different hardware platforms at that time. Like MAME4All for example.

We have anumber of these 'moment in time' mame collections so that everyone can find the collection for specific hardware platforms.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby nanosev » Sat Nov 09, 2019 12:01 pm

Many thanks! I will investigate about MAME that i have abandoned it completely. :good:
nanosev
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Fav System: ps1

Postby mahanoor » Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:34 am

Hi

I built an arcade cab some 8 - 9 years ago, using hyperspin & various emulators it all ran really well but I never really got into understanding Mame.

I'm doing a new build now & planning to use Hyperspin along with RocketLauncher & Mame, there are only about 15 - 20 games I want on my wheel so I have these stored in a Roms folder. But what I believe (?) is the best Mame version to use, Mame64 0.214, I point it to my Roms directory, when I click the available tab it shows nothing. If I type in the name of the game & then try to run it I get "The selected machine is missing a , please check you have the Rom or CHD"

In Mame32 Plus Plus 0.119 under available I have my games listed & they all run.

Under MameUI64 0.213 my games don't show at all (although there is a massive list) & when I search they don't come up.

So I guess my question is what is the best version of Mame to use, as said I would have thought the official Mame 0.214 but why won't it show just my Roms & why won't they run?

Appreciate any comments.
Signature removed due to link spam.
mahanoor
Next LVL Up at : 5
Next LVL Up at : 5

Fav System: dell
Steam ID: 1223344

Return to Retro Consoles