Control Panel Layout

Want to know how to hardware or software modify your equipment, like PSP, DS, iPhone. This is the forum for how to, questions and answers.

Control Panel Layout

Postby Stomper » Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:04 am

Hi all

I am trying to work on the layout to build my control panel for my arcade cabinet.

So far I have bought an Ultimarc Joystick it is a 4-way+8-way joystick that you can switch without opening the cabinet. I have an 8 way controller for player 2 or should I get another Ultimarc for that as well??

I know I need a trackball a tron stick and a spinner for the tron stick but if I want to beable to play everything lets say Mame, AAE, Arcade PC and of course emulator controls what would I need?

IF someone here has a good Idea or good setup on how to layout the controls, what controls I need and anything else an experianced builder would have done maybe differently please help.
Stomper
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 25

Fav System: Not Sure

Re: Control Panel Layout

Postby stinow » Wed Sep 18, 2013 1:05 pm

Stomper wrote:Hi all

I am trying to work on the layout to build my control panel for my arcade cabinet.

So far I have bought an Ultimarc Joystick it is a 4-way+8-way joystick that you can switch without opening the cabinet. I have an 8 way controller for player 2 or should I get another Ultimarc for that as well??

I know I need a trackball a tron stick and a spinner for the tron stick but if I want to beable to play everything lets say Mame, AAE, Arcade PC and of course emulator controls what would I need?

IF someone here has a good Idea or good setup on how to layout the controls, what controls I need and anything else an experianced builder would have done maybe differently please help.

Hi there pal,

Good job on starting a cabinet build! :good: .

My advice would be to use just one Ultimarc joystick. But only if you won't see a visible difference between the two. If you do, I would advice to use the Ultimarc also for the second controller. Next to that, are you going to have friends come over for playing (because I don't and so my p2 stick is barely being used).

Do you already have an idea about your button layout? If you are planning to play a lot of fighting games, your setup will have to be different than when playing mostly adventure / sidescrolling games for example.

If you want, I can lookup if I still have my control panel layouy image available for you.

Good luck! :cheers:

Main PC: Intel i5 4670K - 8gb - GTX660 - 120gb Samsung SSD - 1x 2TB sata III
Shovel Knight Aracde: Intel i3 2100, 2gb, HD4350
Donkey Kong Arcade: E6350, 2gb, HD4350, 32gb sata III stick, 1x 320gb sata II
LAN PC: Intel NUC i3, 4gb ddr3, Intel HD3000
Retro PC: P1 166mhz, 64mb, Diamond Stealth II, Voodoo 2, ATA-66 700mb
"2001 - A Retro odyssee PC": P3 S 1.4Ghz, 768mb, LeadTek GF3 Ti500, Matrox G200+ (4x dvi), 3x Seagate 40gb ATA raid 5

NES ROMs
stinow
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 460
Next LVL Up at : 460

Fav System: SNES / Dreamcast / PC

Re: Control Panel Layout

Postby Stomper » Mon Sep 23, 2013 12:25 am

Thank for the reply I am trying to figure out what games I have to design the control panel for and which ones are not to specific or are just a joystick.

like tron got to have the pistol grip trigger joystick with a spinner

pacman is just a 4 way controller
donkey kong is a 4way
I think galaga space invaders is like a two way I think a 4 way will work here

where I think bezerk and defender are 8 ways

10,730 games to go to figure out what I need to make my control panel so I can play as many as I can

if you have a layout that works well I would love to see it thanks
Stomper
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Fav System: Not Sure

Return to Soft/Hard Modding Hardware How To's