Commodore 64 PC Edition Revealed.

Interesting storys, rants, info clips and links to all things related to old computers, retro gaming, mods and computers. You can leave comments only in this forum.

Commodore 64 PC Edition Revealed.

Postby crustyasp46 » Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:07 am

Last year Commodore USA announced a deal with Commodore Licensing to release a PC all-in-one, cased in an exact replica of the Commodore 64 which was originally released back in 1982. That new PC has now been revealed.

Housed in the classic beige chassis of the original, you’ll find a modern mini-ITX PC motherboard with an Intel dual-core 525 Atom processor and the latest Nvidia Ion2 graphics chipset. It has 2GB of DDR3 RAM (expandable to 4GB) and it can output 1080p HD with its HDMI slot.

There are a few features that the 80s classic was lacking – including a optical drive (with a Blu-ray option) and a multi-card reader and USB slots. There’s Wi-Fi on board, as well as DVI and VGA output.

You can also choose to boot the PC into Commodore emulator mode for some 8-bit gaming, or run Workbench 5.

Currently there are no price or availability details at this time.
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Re: New Commodore 64 PC Edition Revealed.

Postby Guest » Sun Mar 13, 2011 11:19 pm

Ha looks like a portable one. Ima take this one with me to class

Re: New Commodore 64 PC Edition Revealed.

Postby crustyasp46 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:07 am

os.png

Introducing Commodore OS

"A distinctive, attractive, advanced and stable operating system experience"

Unleash your creative potential with our new Commodore operating system, a distinctive, attractive, advanced and stable operating system experience, that will come pre-loaded with dozens of the latest and greatest productivity, creativity and education software the open source world has to offer. Featuring dozens of exciting 3D games, the latest web browsing technology, a Microsoft Word compatible Office Suite, advanced graphical manipulation programs, 3D raytracing software, advanced software development tools and languages, photo and movie editing and sound and music composition programs, there is no task too big or too small for a Commodore or AMIGA to accomplish.

Feeling nostalgic? Commodore OS will also be classic Commodore compatible, able to run classic 8-bit, 16-bit and 32-bit era software via emulation. A beautiful user interface allows you to easily peruse games for the Commodore PET, Vic20, C16, C64, C128 and AMIGA. No need to bother with floppy disks, as many games can be legally puchased and downloaded from the internet directly on to your computer.

All our machines will also provide optimum software flexibility with the optional extra to run Windows software either from a dual boot menu at start up, or seamlessly integrated within Commodore OS itself.

More information will be available before launch. Please check back later for updates.

Apparently at launch these models will also be available Phoenix : Amiga 1000 : Amiga 2000 : Amiga 3000 The Phoenix being the most expensive. It also seems that they will have an online store shipping worldwide.

Curious? Visit : http://commodoreusa.net/CUSA_C64.aspx and view their offerings. At the moment it is only an advertising site.
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy

Re: Commodore 64 PC Edition Revealed.

Postby crustyasp46 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 pm

Commodore USA Announces the PC64: Atom in a C64 Case : Thu 26th Aug 2010

I'm not really sure what to do with this. I mean, I know how popular the Commodore 64 was and still is, and how significant a machine it really was. So, when Commodore USA sends out a press release that it has acquired the rights to produce an exact replica case of the C64 (but with Intel Atom innards), I knew a lot of people would like this. At the same time, Commodore USA's website always seemed a little... Sketchy to me.
The C64 doesn't really need an introduction, I'd say. It's definitely from before my time, and I can't recall ever having used one - although there's one particular machine I used when I was about 6-7 years old that I can't recall which could've been a C64. A whopping 30 million of these were sold, making it the best selling personal computer of all time.

The C64 had a MOS Technology 6510 processor running at ~1Mhz (it differed slightly depending on PAL or NTSC), sported 64kB of RAM and 20kB of ROM. The version currently being promised by Commodore USA would have the exact same case, yet have completely different internals - a fairly standard Intel Atom affair.

Commodore USA had to reach an agreement with the Dutch (?!) Commodore Licensing B.V. in order to get the rights to make this product.

"We are ecstatic to be partnering with Commodore Licensing B.V. in this new, exciting product launch," says Barry Altman, president and CEO of Commodore USA, "The legacy of the Commodore C64, which sold over 30 million units, making it the best selling computer of all time, and our reintroduction of this legendary form factor, combined with the world's most recognizable consumer electronics brand, is a once in a lifetime opportunity. We look forward to bringing these new products to market, and welcoming a whole new generation of computer users to the Commodore experience."

Well, it's all a promise at this point, and I must say that I'm not particularly impressed by the rather, eh, unprofessional look of that website and the products listed. Clearly a case of seeing is believing.

Commodore Gets Rights to Amiga, Hyperion Takes Legal Action: Wed 1st Sep 2010

Just when you thought the Amiga world was finally getting its act together, finally making things a little less obtuse for outsiders, this happens. So, we have the AmigaOne X1000 coming up, a brand-new PowerPC computer, running the real deal - AmigaOS 4. In the meantime, Commodore USA - the one with the sketchy website - has apparently secured rights to the Amiga hardware brand, and is planning to release Amiga-branded computers running AROS. In the meantime, Hyperion, the Belgium company behind AmigaOS, who is working with A-eon on the AmigaOne X1000, claims this is a clear violation of the settlement between them and Amiga Inc., and has notified its US lawyers.
Commodore USA sent out a press release yesterday in which they state they've reached an agreement with Bill McEwen of Amiga, Inc. (one of the two companies named Amiga) in which Commodore USA may use the Amiga hardware brand on computers running AROS, the open source Amiga-inspired operating system.

"We are ecstatic to be partnering with Amiga Inc. in this new, exciting product launch," states Barry Altman, President and CEO of Commodore USA, "The legacy of the Commodore and Amiga trademark brand, reunited once again after so many years, and our reintroduction of the legendary All-In-One computer keyboard form factor, combined with the twenty-five year anniversary of the introduction of the first Amiga computer by Commodore International, is a once in a lifetime opportunity."

My first thought was - wait, doesn't this violate the settlement agreement between Amiga Inc. and Hyperion, which finally settled all the legal mumbo-jumbo in the Amiga world? It appears Hyperion believes that this is indeed a violation, and as such, they have asked their lawyers in the US to investigate the matter.

"Our American lawyers will take action against this," Hyperion states, "This is blatant violation of the rights Hyperion Entertainment secured in the settlement agreement with Amiga Inc., Itec and Amino."

The facts here are that if there's two companies I would blindly trust in the Amiga world, it's Hyperion and ACube. These are the only two companies that have kept their promises and delivered actual working products we can buy today. Everyone else - including A-eon (until they ship the X1000) - are fair game.

The only conclusion I can draw from this is that my initial distrust of this Commodore USA thing was more than justified. Their website (shoddy doesn't even begin to describe it), their rebranded products, their unilateral press releases which can't be confirmed anywhere else but on their site... It all reeks of a massive con. Are their products even shipping, after months of promises?

Unless proven otherwise, I'm assuming for now that Commodore USA is, at best, a hoax, and at worst, a very inept con. They are properly registered as an LLC, though.

Source: http://www.osnews.com
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy

Postby crustyasp46 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:50 pm

Commodore 64 is Back in Business!

Did you have one? Or are you nostalgic for the good ‘ol days of the 1980s? Personally, I had an Apple IIe, but the Commodore was the hot gadget to have back in the day. Well Commodore 64, in all its boxy glory, has had an update and is ready for a new day. The new Commodore looks exactly the same as the old one, even down to the keyboard. But the inside has had an update.

Commodore USA, a Florida company, has re-created the old-style PC and put it on sale on Tuesday. The computers sold out in the first 24 hours, but the company won’t say how many units that was. The company had licensed the rights to the Commodore trademark last September.

“It looks just like the original Commodore 64, with even the old-style keyboard,” said Barry Altman, Commodore USA’s chief executive. “In fact, that keyboard was the biggest accomplishment of all, so far. The keys look like a piece of clay that you pushed a marble into — so it fits your fingertip.”

The price is exactly the same as the 1982 price: $595.

The original Commodore 64 had a whopping 64KB of memory. The new one has 4GB, which isn’t huge by today’s standards. I mean, you can get more than that on a tiny little SD card. But it isn’t as if this would be anyone’s primary computer.

Other specs:

Ubuntu 10.04 LTS operating system on disk ready to install (is it a floppy disk??)
Commodore OS 1.0, along with emulation functionality and classic game package, will be mailed to purchasers when available.
And more from Barry: “We expected our audience to be the nostalgia crowd, and that’s true, a lot of people buying them owned an original Commodore 64 back in the ’80s,” Altman said. “But we’re also finding that there are young kids who are geek geniuses who have iPhones and iPads and things like that and they’re looking at this thing and they’re into it. They’ve actually been a big part of our customer base so far too. It’s been a surprise.”

So what do you think? Do you want one? Are you keeping up with the Commodore?

NOW TAKING PRE-ORDERS!
Units come with the Ubuntu 10.04 LTS operating system on disk ready to install.
Commodore OS 1.0, along with emulation functionality and classic game package, will be mailed to purchasers when available.

Please allow approximately 3 weeks for delivery.
Freight charges to all destinations will be indicated during your checkout procedure.

The hardware configuration of each model is selected during the purchasing procedure prior to check out.

http://www.commodoreusa.net/CUSA_Store.aspx
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy

Postby crustyasp46 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:38 pm

They are now taking pre-orders on A Vic Pro and A Vic Slim models. And on their last update that I have read are creating their own OS.

They have also posted pictures of the Amiga 1000, Amiga 2000, and Amiga 3000.

It seems that Commodore USA is going full force to establish themselves as viable product and not as a novelty. :good:
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy

Return to Retro Computer Ramblings BLOG