Wing Commander is back, welcome to Star Citizen

Interesting storys, rants, info clips and links to all things related to old computers, retro gaming, mods and computers. You can leave comments only in this forum.

Wing Commander is back, welcome to Star Citizen

Postby Hot Trout » Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:40 pm

When I was at school (many years ago), one series of games really captured what PC gaming was all about. The Wing Commander series was unique, original, different and I became hooked from the start. I followed the games right from the first floppy disk version and played them all to completion right up to the final game 'Privateer 2' in 1996. There were attempts to release further games, 'Privateer 3', 'Wing Commander VII' but alas it was not to be. I am also not ashamed to say that I even watched the movie based on the games but the less said about that the better.

Today (10-10-2012) the creator of the series, Chris Roberts unveils his plans for the next game in the series. Star Citizen is his grandest plan to date and if the visuals are anything to go by it is not going to disappoint. Here are a few pictures to get your juices flowing,

I am also currently an avid EVE player and have been for over seven years but somehow EVE never delivered in terms of story or history. Technically it is brilliant and one of the most complex and involving MMORPG games available. Still it does not deliver in terms of action in the same way that the Wing Commander games did all those years ago.

There is just one small problem. No one will back and space game, not to mention a space game on the PC. This is where you come in. Go to his site and make a pledge from as little as $10 (or as much as $10,000, as Clint in Jaws said, '$10,000 for me by myself. For that you get the head, the tail, the whole damn thing' :D ). Then you will have shown your interest and also provided the team at Star Citizen with confidence to continue their mission, to make the best dam space game ever.

I will see you all ingame hopefully some time very soon. Now go and sign up
Code: Select all
http://robertsspaceindustries.com/star-citizen/

Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Re: Wing Commander is back, welcome to Star Citizen

Postby Hot Trout » Thu Nov 01, 2012 11:41 pm

Well, looks like this project is going to happen. He needed $2m in 30 days, its at $2.5m with 18 days to go. :freakout:

This will be our game, designed by the users, paid for by the users and ultimately made awesome by the users. This is shaping up to be the biggest thing on PC in years.

Im already on board, are you?

Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby crustyasp46 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 1:14 am

There's a rumor going around that nobody's buying video games anymore. The truth is they're just not buying the new ones as much these days.

Sales of new video game hardware, software and accessories fell 24%, to $848 million, in September from $1.1 billion the same time a year earlier, according to NPD Group. That's 10 straight months of declines despite releases including Electronic Arts' "Madden NFL '13" and "Battlefield 3" and Take-Two Interactive Software's "Borderlands 2."

Sales of games alone, including computer games, fell 14%, to $547.3 million for the same period. Nobody's buying hardware, such as Microsoft'sXbox 360 or Sony's PlayStation 3, which saw sales fall a whopping 39% last month. The gaming world is eagerly awaiting the release of Nintendo's Wii U console in November, but even that may not be enough to bring video games back to their pre-recession, pre-Apple iPhone heights.

Even online gaming has taken a hit. Facebook blamed its slow revenue growth on users not playing as many games from FarmVille maker Zynga as they used to. That downturn led Zynga to do away with 13 of its games and lay off 5% of its staff earlier this week.

Quoted from : MSN Money
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maybe and hopefully that this will bring some breath back into the video gaming business and spur some new concepts to the actual games. Battlefeld and games of that ilk that are version # 3 or more , become stale and gamers only swallow that crap for so long.

Although this is a take off off of a classic, it is old enough that Star Citizen should do well, especially with the concept of community involvement of financing, community input, and awesomeness of the community.

This may show the other game makers what the community wants in their games and help to breathe life back to gaming in general.
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Postby Hot Trout » Fri Nov 02, 2012 11:14 am

I totally agree. As a gamer since 1979 the industry has lost all of its quirkiness and originality. Star Citizen has massive potential not only because the man behind the game is a genius and real game fan but also because of how this project will be funded, how it will be directed and ultimately what it will become.

Time will tell but I for one am very excited and really want it to succeed.

Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby stinow » Fri Nov 02, 2012 6:02 pm

Wow this sounds great!

Looking forward to it :D.

I love it when producers start these kind of projects.. It's also fun for users to get more involved this way.

:thumbup:

Main PC: Intel i5 4670K - 8gb - GTX660 - 120gb Samsung SSD - 1x 2TB sata III
Shovel Knight Aracde: Intel i3 2100, 2gb, HD4350
Donkey Kong Arcade: E6350, 2gb, HD4350, 32gb sata III stick, 1x 320gb sata II
LAN PC: Intel NUC i3, 4gb ddr3, Intel HD3000
Retro PC: P1 166mhz, 64mb, Diamond Stealth II, Voodoo 2, ATA-66 700mb
"2001 - A Retro odyssee PC": P3 S 1.4Ghz, 768mb, LeadTek GF3 Ti500, Matrox G200+ (4x dvi), 3x Seagate 40gb ATA raid 5

NES ROMs
stinow
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 460
Next LVL Up at : 460

Fav System: SNES / Dreamcast / PC

Postby Hot Trout » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:25 pm

A new video has just been added to show off the very least that this game will be capable of, it is awesome.

You can sign up your interest by following this link, Register for Star Citizen, now go DO IT NOW :freakout:

Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Return to Retro Computer Ramblings BLOG