SNES clone usb pad mod.

Interesting storys, rants, info clips and links to all things related to old computers, retro gaming, mods and computers. You can leave comments only in this forum.

SNES clone usb pad mod.

Postby Bumcake » Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:42 pm

Hey ladies & gents, hope your having an interesting weekend.
Though I would post up a simple little modification for those extremely cheap Snes lookalike usb controllers off Ebay.

As they come they are ok at a pinch, but do suffer from (well at least mine did) horrible at times random movement, like if you pushed hard up or down etc 7/10 times your character would also move left or right, a right pain in the ass!.
So after a quick stripdown I could soon see why.

First of all the plastic for the D-pad had alot of leftover plastic from the molding and also the center post that the D-pad orbits around wasnt long enough allowing the pad to squash the other rubber domes that was causing the erratic function. (Extremely funny if only for the inevitable swearing during a Bomberman match!).

So clean off the extra plastic with a file, this made a bit of a difference but not perfect.
The center post needs to be extended so the whole D-pad cant be pushed in by the center.
I found these small sticky foam rubber 2mm thick pads at world of quid and they are perfect to place in the center of the pcb below the D-pad, they take up the space between the pcd and D-pad perfectly.

A quick clean down with alcohol wipes to remove the flux our friends in china left behind and the pads stick very well.

Have a soldering iron at the ready as the wiring on the board isnt too hot, I re-flowed the solder points while the pads are open.
Assemble plastic body again, 5 Screws to tighten and your back in buisness, job done.

Bomberman anyone?.
Bumcake
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 110
Next LVL Up at : 110

Fav System: C64/Amiga/Atari/pc

Re: SNES clone usb pad mod.

Postby Dragon Mech » Thu Apr 10, 2014 5:39 pm

where's my passport..WHERE'S MY PASSPORT!!!!!!!!! :D
Site Moderator
For the Glory of the Gamer Nation!