An Incredible test of strength!

Interesting storys, rants, info clips and links to all things related to old computers, retro gaming, mods and computers. You can leave comments only in this forum.

Postby crustyasp46 » Mon Jul 14, 2014 1:34 am

:angel:
strongman.jpg
strongman.jpg (4.57 KiB) Viewed 10639 times

Exactly how durable are Atari cartridges? I thought I'd see for myself. So, I took a Combat cartridge that was made in the 32nd week of 1981. You can tell by reading a little number code printed on the ROM. I did some experiments on it to see how much abuse it could take and still work.

pb6.0.jpg

I took the cartridge and dropped it out of my second story window onto the cement sidewalk five times. The plastic part of the cart was in pieces, but the game still worked. Then, I put the cartridge back together as best I could and put it out in the street.

Jeep.jpg
Jeep.jpg (4.15 KiB) Viewed 10639 times

It got run over by a jeep. I took it inside and it still worked. At this point, there was nothing left but the PCB with the ROM soldered on it and a metal cover that went over the ROM.

Bubbles.png

I then put the PCB in boiling water for five minutes,

snowball.jpg
snowball.jpg (7.26 KiB) Viewed 10639 times

took it out and immediately packed it in a snowball that I made out of frost from my freezer. After five minutes, I broke all the ice off the PCB and ROM and plugged it into my Atari. It worked!

quest.jpg
quest.jpg (4.94 KiB) Viewed 10639 times

What could I do next?

magnet.jpg
magnet.jpg (7.52 KiB) Viewed 10639 times

I have this magnet that's very strong. If I hold it within about 1.5 feet from a TV screen, all the color gets sucked to one side of the screen! Well, I took that magnet and rubbed it all over the PCB and ROM. Plugged it in, and it worked!

Lighter.jpg
Lighter.jpg (6.13 KiB) Viewed 10639 times

I then took a lighter and held the ROM right above the flame. I left it there for a few minutes until the ROM was smoking and giving off a nasty smell. I cleaned off all the soot and plugged it in and it still worked.

bad.jpg
bad.jpg (16.3 KiB) Viewed 10639 times

No more Mr. Nice Guy!

3cars.jpg
3cars.jpg (8.92 KiB) Viewed 10639 times

I took it outside and three cars ran over it,

throw.jpg
throw.jpg (9.35 KiB) Viewed 10639 times

threw it up as high as I could and had it land on the cement twice, and I threw it down onto the cement as hard as I could twice. At this point, the metal cover that goes over the ROM had broken off, the PCB was chipped on all the corners, the ROM was smashed onto the PCB so that the pins were all squished on one side and were being pulled out of the solder on the other side. I had to straighten out the pins so that none were touching each other and I had to hold the PCB together in one place so that the metal contacts would be in the right place when I plugged the game in. Guess what...it still worked!

This cartridge had taken heat and cold extremes, shock and magnetism.

electricity.gif
electricity.gif (6.69 KiB) Viewed 10639 times

Next up was electricity. I took the Atari power supply (9V, 300mA) and connected some alligator clips to the output terminals of the power supply. Then, I rubbed the other end of the alligator clips across the metal contacts of the game's PCB. I tried a bunch of different combinations and always had both alligator clips touching the PCB contacts so that electricity would be flowing. I plugged the game back in and much to my surprise, it still worked!

hammer.jpg
hammer.jpg (7.43 KiB) Viewed 10639 times

Lastly, I grabbed my hammer, rested the game down on the cement, and gave it a good smack. The ROM cracked right in half, breaking the silicon wafer.

dead.jpg
dead.jpg (15.09 KiB) Viewed 10639 times

I plugged the game in and, of course, it did not survive the last test of durability. It took all that abuse to ruin a 13 year old Atari game. I'd say they're pretty durable!

Source: 2600 Connection
1994, Issue 23, page 8
Written by: John Earney

The images arenot the original images of the article, asthey were not available on wayback. So, itook some licence and added what I thought may be appropiate. I think the durability was proven.
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Return to Retro Computer Ramblings BLOG