Freeware Flight Simulator

PC and MAC news and discussions.

Freeware Flight Simulator

Postby Dragon Mech » Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:22 pm

last year i found a pretty good freeware flight simulator called YS Flight.
it's a general flight sim that lets you fly a large slection of planes,both jet and propeller driven planes as well as a few hellicopters. YS Flight has three variations based on video output method: DirectX,OpenGl and CPU rendering. here are a few screen shots from the CPU renderd version.
ys_screenshot.jpg

ys_screenshot1.jpg

ys_screenshot2.jpg

ys_screenshot4.jpg

ys_screenshot5.jpg

as you can see this is a 3D flight sim. YS flight allows you to control all of the flight surfaces on all of the aircraft(ailerons,rudder,elevator,flaps,spoilers). instead of me running my mouth and spoiling the fun of
discovery for you, why don't you just goto: http://wwwe.ysflight.com/. and no, the"e" isn't a typo. the web site has two languages, english and japaness. the "e" in "wwwe" specifies the english language. this flight sim is available for Windows,Linux and Mac. the stable version of this flight sim was released in the first part of last year but the guy who makes it is working on a new version.oh, one more thing. YS Flight has a Network feature that allows you to directly connect to other people via IP address.
Last edited by Dragon Mech on Thu Jul 19, 2012 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Site Moderator
For the Glory of the Gamer Nation!
Dragon Mech
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Next LVL Up at : 630

Fav System: Too many to list here :D

Re: Freeware Flight Simulator

Postby Dragon Mech » Fri Jun 15, 2012 1:06 pm

i think i should decribe YS Flight a little better. you have the option of flying both military and civilan planes with both propeller and jet propulsion. you have a choice of 16 maps and 87 aircraft. here is a small example of aircraft that you can fly: A6M5 Zero,AH-64 Apache,B29 Superfortress,Boeing 777,F-14 Tomcat,
F-18 SuperHornet(my favorite),F-22Raptor,UH-60 BlackHawk. you can of course, just cruise around in your favorite aircraft or, you can start an air combat simulation, fly a close air support mission, do an intercept mission.or, if you think your mister/miss bad ass lord of the skys, you can engage in a gruling endurence mode for either jet or WWII planes.also, there are a few maps with ground targets that you can blow up. but can you do it and not get hit by the AAA guns or the SAM sites? when you download YS Flight, you get three versions: CPU rendered,OpenGL and Direct X. the graphics on the CPU rendered version are good.i can't comment on the OpenGl or Direct X versions because my PC is too old to display them properly. you can also get YS Flight for Mac and Linux. this flight simulator isn't as complex as Microsoft Flight Simulator but, it's suprisingly good for freeware.here are a couple of things you won't ever see in real life.
Plane setup.jpg

a F-18 Navy Blue Angle with 14 Air to Air missles and
wingmen.jpg

the same F-18 with a F-16 FightingFalcon and a F-22 Raptor as wingmen.
the network mode works by having one person act as the server and everyone else as clients. the only way for other people to connect to to the server is via IP address.in network mode, everyone can blow the crap out of each other or the person who is acting as the server can start intercept missions or endurence mode.
i hope you found this post informative and i enjoyed writting it. oh and one more thing, YS Flight does support various joypads and joysticks but you can fly useing your keyboard and mouse.
Site Moderator
For the Glory of the Gamer Nation!
Dragon Mech
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Fav System: Too many to list here :D

Return to Modern Computing