Gaming laptops are a complete joke

PC and MAC news and discussions.

Re: Gaming laptops are a complete joke

Postby Kherr » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:50 am

I don't know what people are smoking, but my laptop (before and after repairs) is a gaming beast. I can run WoW on ULTRA in 1080p and still get an average of 72 FPS. I run Dead Island in 1080p on Max settings and get an average of 50 FPS. I run unreal Tournament 3 in max settings and pull over 60 FPS high enough I have to turn on VSync. Screen tearing is exceedingly common on my laptop gaming rig. Desktops are nice, but they aren't portable for going over to your friend's house for a LAN party, and laptops take up less space. I can deal with my laptop weighing 8.7 lbs so I can take it everywhere I go. A simple laptop bag and everything is gravy.

BTW, with everything set to fancy and render distance of far on minecraft running a 128x128 tex pack I'm pulling over 100 FPS without VSync on.

Desktops are only for EXTREME gaming needs and those who need ABSOLUTE RAW POWER. My laptop does fine in cooling with it's dual exhaust system. Oh, and they are halfway up-gradable, thanks. Not completely not up-gradable. I put an extra 8 GB of RAM in mine to total it out at 16 GB.

I don't need more than this beast. :3 :ugeek:

I'm glad you found your way with this crusty. Hope they enjoy (and love you for life). :3
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Next LVL Up at : 1800

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Postby SE7EN » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:51 am

Kherr wrote:I don't know what people are smoking, but my laptop (before and after repairs) is a gaming beast. I can run WoW on ULTRA in 1080p and still get an average of 72 FPS. I run Dead Island in 1080p on Max settings and get an average of 50 FPS. I run unreal Tournament 3 in max settings and pull over 60 FPS high enough I have to turn on VSync. Screen tearing is exceedingly common on my laptop gaming rig. Desktops are nice, but they aren't portable for going over to your friend's house for a LAN party, and laptops take up less space. I can deal with my laptop weighing 8.7 lbs so I can take it everywhere I go. A simple laptop bag and everything is gravy.
BTW, with everything set to fancy and render distance of far on minecraft running a 128x128 tex pack I'm pulling over 100 FPS without VSync on.
Desktops are only for EXTREME gaming needs and those who need ABSOLUTE RAW POWER. My laptop does fine in cooling with it's dual exhaust system. Oh, and they are halfway up-gradable, thanks. Not completely not up-gradable. I put an extra 8 GB of RAM in mine to total it out at 16 GB.
I don't need more than this beast. :3 :ugeek:
I'm glad you found your way with this crusty. Hope they enjoy (and love you for life). :3

yeah, for some people who are on the move a lot, a laptop would be a clear winner.. if you're rarely at home to use it there. As far as the occasional LAN party or whatnot, they have mATX rigs, or even the LANboy air case (still bigger than a laptop, but easily portable nonetheless) Even my monster case is portable, having a handle, but it is heavy! As far as gaming, a laptop is not even comparable to a desktop, and the games you listed are quite low on requirements, WoW being 8 years old, and the updates since then not raising requirements too much (people can play that and minecraft on non-gaming laptops) As far as some of the newer games, say BattleField 3 or Far Cry 3, I don't think your results will be soo nice. Not saying laptops don't have their merits if you HAVE to be real portable, but for newer games to run on good settings will require either top of the line laptop GPUs or midrange desktop. A 660m will not perform even close to a 560Ti, and a 560Ti is nowhere close to 'Extreme Gaming'.

Not saying a laptop is NOT upgradeable either, but it can be a moderately complex problem for swapping something more than RAM or HDD. Need a new GPU? Who even sells those if you can replace it? (I don't know whether you can do it honestly) motherboard bad.. can you replace those? (again, I have no clue)I would, for gaming purposes, consider a laptop more similar to a console than to a desktop.
edit: also... laptop keyboards are bad, and touchpads are 100% horrid.
SE7EN
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Next LVL Up at : 230
Next LVL Up at : 230

Fav System: Nintendo 64

Postby Kherr » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:32 am

SE7EN wrote:yeah, for some people who are on the move a lot, a laptop would be a clear winner.. if you're rarely at home to use it there. As far as the occasional LAN party or whatnot, they have mATX rigs, or even the LANboy air case (still bigger than a laptop, but easily portable nonetheless) Even my monster case is portable, having a handle, but it is heavy! As far as gaming, a laptop is not even comparable to a desktop, and the games you listed are quite low on requirements, WoW being 8 years old, and the updates since then not raising requirements too much (people can play that and minecraft on non-gaming laptops) As far as some of the newer games, say BattleField 3 or Far Cry 3, I don't think your results will be soo nice. Not saying laptops don't have their merits if you HAVE to be real portable, but for newer games to run on good settings will require either top of the line laptop GPUs or midrange desktop. A 660m will not perform even close to a 560Ti, and a 560Ti is nowhere close to 'Extreme Gaming'.

Not saying a laptop is NOT upgradeable either, but it can be a moderately complex problem for swapping something more than RAM or HDD. Need a new GPU? Who even sells those if you can replace it? (I don't know whether you can do it honestly) motherboard bad.. can you replace those? (again, I have no clue)I would, for gaming purposes, consider a laptop more similar to a console than to a desktop.
edit: also... laptop keyboards are bad, and touchpads are 100% horrid.

To each their own I suppose. :hi:
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Postby Hot Trout » Mon Dec 10, 2012 1:09 pm

There is no right or wrong when it comes to computers, just horses for courses.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby AlexMatt » Mon Apr 08, 2013 11:50 am

Laptop can never perform like desktop because laptop has very congested area and many chances of getting heat up which is really bad for laptop.
AlexMatt
Next LVL Up at : 10

Fav System: Dell & Lenovo

Postby urbanman2004 » Fri Apr 18, 2014 4:28 am

That's why I always build my gaming PCs. I get bang for my buck and I can customize it to my liking, and upgrade it easily.
Dual Boot: Windows 8.1.1 / Mac OS X 10.9.2
Intel Core i7-4770K (De-lidded) | EVGA Z87 FTW (ATX) | Silverstone SST-ST1200-G 1200W | Noctua NH-U12S
ASUS BW-12B1STm | OCZ Vertex 4 512 GB | Western Digital VelociRaptor 500GB | EVGA GeForce GTX680 SC
Patriot Dual Bay 2.5" SATA 3.5" drive bay (for SSD) | Corsair Vengeance 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz
My case: Modified Apple Powermac G5 WIP
urbanman2004

Fav System: PC / SNES / N64 / PS2
Steam ID: urbanman2004

Postby cooper4451 » Wed May 14, 2014 10:37 am

Hello i have a hp-g40 series laptop with 4 g.b. of ram and 1 gb nvedia but unable to play most p.c. games what would i do i think it is a carp to buy a p.c. for gaming i would better buy a ps3 console insted of the pc.
i check some tricks here they are useful for me but dont understand how to play (exe) format games in ubuntu.
Code: Select all
http://www.technextgen.tk]Ubuntu Help
cooper4451
Next LVL Up at : 5
Next LVL Up at : 5

Fav System: pavilion-g40

Postby Dragon Mech » Wed May 14, 2014 4:54 pm

in order to run windows (.exe) programs in Linux OSes, you will need to install a program called Wine. here is the url to the Wine projects main site:
Code: Select all
 http://www.winehq.org/
Site Moderator
For the Glory of the Gamer Nation!
Dragon Mech
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Next LVL Up at : 630
Next LVL Up at : 630

Fav System: Too many to list here :D

Previous

Return to Modern Computing