Dragon Mech's board mounted PC

Pictures and videos of anything either retro related or otherwise.

Re: Dragon Mech's board mounted PC

Postby Dragon Mech » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:21 am

hello everyone. here it is the wee hours of the new year 2015 and already i'm doing an upgrade to one of my computers.

this time i decided to switch out the heatsink for my 500MHz intel celeron CPU.
IMG_20150101_000350.jpg
old heatsink on the left, new one on the right.

IMG_20150101_000518.jpg
overhead view for size comparison.

the black heatsink on the left is the one that came with the CPU when i got it from crusty (many thanks to you my friend) and it has done its job well. but as my hardware ages, i need to take preventative messures to insure that my computer (or at least its components) lasts as long as it (they) can. so i decided to upgrade to the heatsink on the right. it's a little but bigger and uses a larger fan.
i was able to use the same metal restraint from the old heatsink with the new one. but because of the larger size of the new heatsink, it was a little more difficult to get it to latch on to the socket. here are a couple of pictures of the new heatsink attached to the cpu socket.
IMG_20150101_023052.jpg
front view with ram modules removed.

IMG_20150101_023128.jpg
overhead view for size ratio comparison of new heatsink to motherboard.

hopefully this upgrade will increase heat dissipation and prolong the life of the cpu (and possible my computer as well). :bowser:
Site Moderator
For the Glory of the Gamer Nation!
Dragon Mech
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Next LVL Up at : 630

Fav System: Too many to list here :D

Re: Dragon Mech's board mounted PC

Postby Dragon Mech » Thu Jan 28, 2016 12:52 pm

i decided to rearrange the hard drive layout for this computer to centralize all of the drives and make swaping out the drives easier.
IMG_20160128_051735.jpg

the two lower drives are for Windows 2000 (40GB + 80GB) and the two upper drives are for MS-DOS 6.22 with Windows for Workgroups 3.11 and Wary Puppy Linux 5.3 (4GB+4GB) . the hard drive that is on top is for Windows ME(60GB). i have that drive screwed to the rack from underneth the top plate to prevent it from falling over.
i also mounted a cooling fan in front of the win 2k drives because they get hotter than the ms-dos drives.
i moved the power switch to the underside of the board to portect it from being accidentally pressed when i'm work with the drives or other components. :bowser:
Site Moderator
For the Glory of the Gamer Nation!
Dragon Mech
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Fav System: Too many to list here :D

Previous

Return to Pictures & Videos