New ROM Download Engine

Please post your comments good and bad. Also make your suggestions and create or take part in a Poll.

New ROM Download Engine

Postby zxcvb » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:22 pm

i don't like the new download engine to many pages
to when i download a rom it opens a new page with the link for that file :(
i like the old way click and download.
zxcvb
Next LVL Up at : 5
Next LVL Up at : 5

Re: New ROM Download Engine

Postby Guest » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:38 pm

I do agree with the comment about the pages. To get down to one section its a talk of about 10 different folders. It does get a little crazy navigating around in there.
Something that would deff help is an update to the style. Like pics and bigger words and some spacing. I know its beta tho im just sayin.

zxcvb wrote:to when i download a rom it opens a new page with the link for that file
i like the old way click and download.

I think partial reason for this is to stop sites or people from simply leeching everything with quick download links. I have flashget for other reasons, but I could use it to mass download all the roms on a page and thats pretty rediclious and not advised at all and using this method, it stops someone from doing that.

Otherwise the new engine is pretty quick. Just needs an update after the transfer of all the files which I know takes a while. :o U have our support

Postby Hot Trout » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:49 pm

The main reasons for the engine were indeed to stop leeching from sites. It also allows me to make big rom updates quickly with minimum effort. I agree that it is not as easy to download multiple files but unfortunatly this is not possible if I want to stop leeching.

One other benefit is that the usrs are required to load the download page which means that I get an advert loaded. This is necessary as it is the only way that I have of paying for this site.

One suggestion would be that if we ever move to a membeship site with small payment then I could afford to remove adverts for paid members.

I appreciate your suggestions, It takes a lot to keep this development up.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby Hot Trout » Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:14 pm

The development of the ROM engine continues. I have now added a little database statistics which shows live stats on number of formats/platforms, number of makes and the total number of roms and total size. This is a very cool little addon I think.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Return to Your Comments, Suggestions and Polls