Website design discussion

Please post your comments good and bad. Also make your suggestions and create or take part in a Poll.

Re: Website design discussion

Postby stinow » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:29 pm

:bump:

Reminder for myself now that the cabinet is almost done I will try do some desinging soon (if other r.l. Projects dont intervene). :))

Main PC: Intel i5 4670K - 8gb - GTX660 - 120gb Samsung SSD - 1x 2TB sata III
Shovel Knight Aracde: Intel i3 2100, 2gb, HD4350
Donkey Kong Arcade: E6350, 2gb, HD4350, 32gb sata III stick, 1x 320gb sata II
LAN PC: Intel NUC i3, 4gb ddr3, Intel HD3000
Retro PC: P1 166mhz, 64mb, Diamond Stealth II, Voodoo 2, ATA-66 700mb
"2001 - A Retro odyssee PC": P3 S 1.4Ghz, 768mb, LeadTek GF3 Ti500, Matrox G200+ (4x dvi), 3x Seagate 40gb ATA raid 5

NES ROMs
stinow
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 460
Next LVL Up at : 460

Fav System: SNES / Dreamcast / PC

Postby Kherr » Mon Dec 26, 2011 1:52 am

Looking forward to it bro. Hopefully you have some sort of revolutionary design for us so that we attract even more people to the site. :3
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Next LVL Up at : 1800

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Postby GozmitJosh » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:51 am

might be a little late for input but i liked the way Theoldcomputer was.

The old style look i want to say ~3 years ago?

For example i remember the emulator section having Nintendo/sega/atari logos next to the name...etc...etc along with a table showing all the emulators available

Same with the categories for the roms. Next to each emulator used to be a description of the emulator and its pros and cons. Now there is a lot more categories and systems uploaded than before so i think that might be a problem with having to scroll down so far.

For example: http://web.archive.org/web/20030201090627/http://www.theoldcomputer.com/Libarary's/Emulation/ROMs_summary.htm

That is how i remember the way things were...and i love that look. You still have plenty of space for the rate system and other info about the number of downloads per rom and such.

Even the old look from '09 was good for me IMO

http://web.archive.org/web/20090227031154/http://www.theoldcomputer.com/Libarary's/Emulation/ROMs_summary.htm
GozmitJosh
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 170

Fav System: Playstation 1

Postby Kherr » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:22 am

It's never too late for input josh, and I agree with your liking of the emulator/roms pages with the icons/logos/names in gif files next to the description for the libraries... the first link you provided. That's the way I think the emulator section should look. But maybe it's time for a completely new look as we've had the same sort of styled look for quite awhile now and it just feels a little dusty. :3
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Postby GozmitJosh » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:40 am

Kherr wrote:But maybe it's time for a completely new look as we've had the same sort of styled look for quite awhile now and it just feels a little dusty. :3

I agree :) i guess i dislike the style we have now when compared to the older years :S but then ago this site houses a lot of retro roms and information. Maybe there is a look that can fit both? A new fresh look but keep the "retro"?

I like the groupings we have now on the main page of the left sidebar but prefer the green boxes that highlighted over the entire bar that gets highlighted. But thats just me. Might be biased as i grew up seeing that :oops:

I think the roms/emulator sections need to be more...categorized? Right now i click on ROMS and i see over 40-50+ links branching off into other roms/systems. Would love to see those categorized into places such as...

Computer
Consoles
Handhelds
Calculators
...etc...etc

Along with the Roms. I click on the Nintendo roms again i preferred the older look with the nintendo gif. Maybe have a gif or pic of each console next to the console link to add more style than just a simple url link.

EDIT: sry about going inactive, been having a lot of work and life stuff happen.

All the links and everything seems a bit "bland"?
GozmitJosh
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Fav System: Playstation 1

Postby PMJPlay » Fri Feb 17, 2012 7:51 am

Personally I think the forums layout is clean and neat and shouldnt be changed. I think the main site should
reflect the same design of the forums, but thats just a opinion of a lowly member :P
PMJPlay
Curator
Curator
Next LVL Up at : 1250
Next LVL Up at : 1250

Previous

Return to Your Comments, Suggestions and Polls