rom cleanup

Please post your comments good and bad. Also make your suggestions and create or take part in a Poll.

rom cleanup

Postby silent sniper » Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:03 pm

just a thought

browsing trough the sega X32 roms and the famicom roms i see tons of roms that are not part of the master list on most sites,there are countless clones and hacks which can make dl a frustrating thing.

why not move all the clones,hacks,and etc to a different place like a misc section for that console.

and another thing,famicom disk system missing some roms as do the sega cd and sega x32.

if you want a hand i can help with some of the missing roms ,but a proper clean-up is necessary.

:good:
silent sniper
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 150

Fav System: sony playstation

Re: rom cleanup

Postby Hot Trout » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:46 pm

Thanks for the post. You should talk with te_lanus as he would be best to make the changes. By all means you could help get him some of the roms required. If you both think that an entire upload of a good set or similar would be a good idea then I can take care of this.

Talk to te_lanus first and get back to me.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby silent sniper » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:00 am

i tried no intro sets but they to have some stuff that is not part of master list,prototypes roms and etc.

i think a good set shuold compose of all the ralesed games for the usa/europe/japan/and the unlicensed games.

no bud dumps/hacks/clones/fan made/over dump/and etc.

im building sets in that way so yeah as long as it is not to big i think it will be a good idea to replace the clutter of some sections with the new builds.

happy weekend
silent sniper
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby te_lanus » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:45 pm

silent sniper wrote:i tried no intro sets but they to have some stuff that is not part of master list,prototypes roms and etc.
Prototypes is part of the History of Gaming.If it wasn't for prototypes there would be no games

Master List
How would you describe this "Master List"?

There is at least Six Major Lists that I know and another ten or eleven smaller lists. The smaller lists is unique to the group that make the list, like the Off-line List from PPXCLUB that cater to Chinese Roms on any console, some is part of goodtools and some not.

The Major lists is:
  • No-Intro
  • Goodtools from Cowering
  • Tosec
  • MESS Software List
  • Non-Good & lastly
  • Redump

The Roms in the Rom section is based mostly of the Goodtools, But Like the NES / Famicom section is grouped by Major List: Tosec, GoodNES and No-intro. It also include a section I added for "Rare" dumps made by Cah4e3, From carts that He has access too, that's not part of any list.

Also to answer the Question of Hacks/Overdump/ Ect: The only section in the NES/Famicom section that carry them is the TOSEC section as it's part of the TOSEC List and anyone that want to collect the TOSEC list can find it all in one section, to move it wouldn't make any sense.

browsing trough the sega X32 roms and the famicom roms i see tons of roms that are not part of the master list on most sites,there are countless clones and hacks which can make dl a frustrating thing.
For the famicom I already answered. The Sega 32x is based of the MESS Softlist, and there is no hacks/overdumps and such in the Sega 32x section.

Also all the ROM Sites I've been too carry every overdump/translation and such roms, as everybody use the Goodtool as their base, and Cowering has added every overdump/ and such roms to his tools. the only one I've seen that on the surface doesn't carry it is edge emulation. But their roms is all packed into one file. Thus downloading Pokemon Red there, gives you every translation/bad dump/overdump/ and such in one file.

We (Emulator Friends on a public Rom IRC) had a discussion once about it, and the feeling of everybody there was that a site that didn't carry it won't really survive long, as people (PokeROMs) who collect every rom won't visit such site, and won't tell there fellow PokeROMs to go there. (PokeROMs = Those who collect every rom)

no bud dumps/hacks/clones/fan made/over dump/and etc.

For bad_Dumps/Over_Dumps, see above. For Hacks / Fan-Made & Translations, I would include then, Since they are part of the scene around the console that they come from. some extra info about Fan-Made, is that a lot of fan-made games go on to be sold, a few examples Halo2600 for the Atari 2600, Digger Chan by Aypok for the Sega Master System, All sold in original Carts.

Clones I don't really understand what you mean. take Simcity 2000 (For Dos) as an example, you get the original Floppy Version (Version 1.0), then one get Version 1.1, also floppy, then one get Simcity on CD, Also on CD (and Floppies) is the Special Edition (CD Collection), Urban Renewal Kit and Network Edition, all is the same game (With differences here and there)
te_lanus
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 670

Fav System: Everything 1980-2000

Postby silent sniper » Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:22 am

i based the master list on all released games in the u.s/europe/japan/unlicensed

no clones no fan made no hacks

thanks for the info i learned some things,tosec and no intro are goods sets but not everyone want

mario

mario 1.1 mario 1.2 and etc

this is why i posted the idea

a clean set of roms
silent sniper
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby te_lanus » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:12 am

silent sniper wrote:i based the master list on all released games in the u.s/europe/japan/unlicensed

no clones
mario

mario 1.1 mario 1.2 and etc

this is why i posted the idea
a clean set of roms

As per your example to have every game released in lets say USA, One will have multiple "clones". As Super Mario Bros. 1.0 Might have bugs in that 1.1 fixes & 1.2 might fix bugs that was present (left over from 1.0) or added in 1.1. and each one was sold (Released) in USA, thus without it the masterlist as you describe won't be complete. Also on a lot of systems you had one company selling/releasing a Game, & then another company re-releasing the game later. An the Atari 2600 it went so far that up to 10 companies could release the same game.

no fan made no hacks
Something I forgot to mention yesterday is that hacks is how some of us got our games, Known as Piracy back in the days. Especially systems that was sold during 80's and 90's. If one take the PSX 95% of the games sold here (Where I live) was Pirated / hacked to work with Modchips. The Computer systems had a lot of hackers working to defeat the DRM that games had back then, and we need to preserve their work too for future generations

silent sniper wrote:thanks for the info i learned some things,tosec and no intro are goods sets but not everyone want

It's true that not everybody want every rom, But one must decide for oneself what to download and what not too.
te_lanus
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Fav System: Everything 1980-2000

Postby silent sniper » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:53 pm

some points are true and valid others i less agree on,i was considering what i was talking about and now i think (for me ) it is best to build clean sets of all games released for the given console in the u.s and europe.

there are far to many Japanese/fan made/hacks/bad dumps/over dumps/betas and prototypes to be able to make one "complete" pack for given person.

i think a complete pack should consist of all the u.s/europe and if you want to go the extra mile add the unlicensed roms.

if you wanna make a preservation pack then go all the way and include all of the mentioned above.

just my thought on the matter.
silent sniper
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby Hot Trout » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Good discussion and some good info te_lanus, I learned a little there as well. What do you think, should we add a complete set like TOSEC for example just to have them as well?

Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby PMJPlay » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:31 am

I like No-Intro and recently TOSEC, I wish there were more packs like that and available.
PMJPlay
Curator
Curator
Next LVL Up at : 1250
Next LVL Up at : 1250

Postby Hot Trout » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:59 pm

What do you think te_lanus, TOSEC or NOINTRO ?

Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Next

Return to Your Comments, Suggestions and Polls