Bulk Rom Downloads

Please post your comments good and bad. Also make your suggestions and create or take part in a Poll.

Bulk Rom Downloads

Postby Timmay82 » Sun Nov 02, 2014 10:54 am

This is my first post, but I am a long time supporter monetary wise.

My question is this: Why are only some systems within a brand have all ROMS downloadable? For example, Nintendo has NES and SNES "megarom" packs but none for N64 etc?

Is there a legit reason for this? Or is it laziness (in which case I would like to help fix that) or is there some thought behind that? I am a collector with nearly every 8 and 16 bit system (mainstream collected from) console collected and I came back to gain a few ROMS but downloading each separate is slow and boring.
Timmay82
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 5

Fav System: NES

Re: Bulk Rom Downloads

Postby Hot Trout » Sun Nov 02, 2014 7:42 pm

The problem is simply one of space and bandwidth. If we provide a full pack of every system then we would effecitvly double the rom database size which is currently 3tb.

It would take a fortune to put that amount of storage online for users.

The answer is to provide a way to bookmark and download multiple files, even folders by selecting them with your personal download manager.

This feature is one of the main changes with the new website design which is planned for 2015.

Feel free in the meantime to donate more which will help me pay for development. Although it might not seem like it, a site like this with millions of downloads a month requires a lot of work and without any regular source of income (we are free from ALL forms of advertising) it is not easy to develop quickly.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby Timmay82 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:06 am

Hot Trout wrote:The problem is simply one of space and bandwidth. If we provide a full pack of every system then we would effecitvly double the rom database size which is currently 3tb.

It would take a fortune to put that amount of storage online for users.

The answer is to provide a way to bookmark and download multiple files, even folders by selecting them with your personal download manager.

This feature is one of the main changes with the new website design which is planned for 2015.

Feel free in the meantime to donate more which will help me pay for development. Although it might not seem like it, a site like this with millions of downloads a month requires a lot of work and without any regular source of income (we are free from ALL forms of advertising) it is not easy to develop quickly.

Makes sense and thanks for the reply. As I type this I made an additional donation.

Maybe in the future for those who donate larger amounts over time could have an additional level for bulk downloads, maybe not the whole library but more than one at a time would be nice. The only thing I find that sucks is clicking a link opens an additional tab, in which you can then download the rom, maybe higher tiers could just direct click.

Anyways, just suggestions.

Tim
Timmay82
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby Hot Trout » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:53 pm

Timmay82 wrote:Maybe in the future for those who donate larger amounts over time could have an additional level for bulk downloads, maybe not the whole library but more than one at a time would be nice. The only thing I find that sucks is clicking a link opens an additional tab, in which you can then download the rom, maybe higher tiers could just direct click.

Anyways, just suggestions.

Tim

This will almost certainly be the case. We are thinking of members having a subscription level for a few dollars a month and with this then having a lot more bandwidth and download control.

Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby silent sniper » Tue Nov 04, 2014 11:26 am

i think an extra donation is a better idea then a monthly subscription,one time fee is ok,12 times a year much less.
silent sniper
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 150
Next LVL Up at : 150

Fav System: sony playstation

Postby Timmay82 » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:32 am

silent sniper wrote:i think an extra donation is a better idea then a monthly subscription,one time fee is ok,12 times a year much less.

I agree.

Although I won't outright say that I wouldn't be willing to dive in on a monthly structure, I would prefer a single cost (maybe a discounted one time fee for a year and an optional monthly structure). I think another problem would be people canceling subscriptions after they are satisfied with what they got on behalf of your bandwidth and bulk roms if you know what I mean.
Timmay82
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby Hot Trout » Wed Nov 05, 2014 10:03 am

Timmay82 wrote:
silent sniper wrote:i think an extra donation is a better idea then a monthly subscription,one time fee is ok,12 times a year much less.

I agree.

Although I won't outright say that I wouldn't be willing to dive in on a monthly structure, I would prefer a single cost (maybe a discounted one time fee for a year and an optional monthly structure). I think another problem would be people canceling subscriptions after they are satisfied with what they got on behalf of your bandwidth and bulk roms if you know what I mean.

Very true, this is a problem. It is very difficult to get enough income to continue to grow the site/server/development but also not over charge so that people feel that we are some sales site. Not having any adverts is very nice but costs us a lot of income.

Ha-ho, I hope we can get the balance right.

Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby Timmay82 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:35 am

What kind of ads would there be? I think a lot of members would be OK with mass download ads.
Timmay82
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby hannelius » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:51 am

Hot Trout wrote:

is there a way to do this? :headbang:

i tried many times...
and firefox always fails...

i only seem to have trouble here...
hannelius
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 10
Next LVL Up at : 10

Fav System: Windows 2000

Postby Hot Trout » Mon Sep 12, 2016 10:10 am

The short answer is YES if I could get a decent PHP, CSS coder to come on board and help.

Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Return to Your Comments, Suggestions and Polls