Mame mega rom packs?

Please post your comments good and bad. Also make your suggestions and create or take part in a Poll.

Mame mega rom packs?

Postby shinobisshinpads » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:15 pm

Hi guys,

Newly registered and recent unlimited member and I'm just looking for some help regarding mame. I'm looking to get all of the roms for mame in as few downloads as possible, are there any mega packs available? I thought there would be for 155 but when I click on the folders they are listed alphabetically then I can only seem to download each rom individually. It may be that it's not possible to download a pack or I could be an idiot but any direction would really be appreciated! Thank you
shinobisshinpads
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 5

Fav System: Not Sure

Re: Mame mega rom packs?

Postby PMJPlay » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:58 am

You will have to wait for Hot Trout to finish v2 of the website which will enable multiple downloads.... Hopefully by the end of this year...
PMJPlay
Curator
Curator
Next LVL Up at : 1250
Next LVL Up at : 1250

Postby Kherr » Fri Mar 20, 2015 5:34 pm

Alzabo wrote:You will have to wait for Hot Trout to finish v2 of the website which will enable multiple downloads.... Hopefully by the end of this year...

We're all waiting for this dang version to finish. *drools in anticipation*
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Next LVL Up at : 1800

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Postby Hot Trout » Sat Mar 21, 2015 9:26 am

I would ask everyone to please be patient. Is not a version but rather a complete rewrite of the entire site and also a totally new concept for a rom/emulator site.

It is very exciting but also a lot of work. We expect to have something by late summer.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby hugotox » Thu Apr 30, 2015 9:17 pm

According to the FAQs page http://www.theoldcomputer.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=342 here are rom packs. Just can't find the links even after logging in (I already donated)
hugotox
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Fav System: Mame

Postby Hot Trout » Tue May 05, 2015 4:19 pm

That post is somewhat out of date as there are far more rom packs now. To find all the rom packs, simply go to the folder of the manufacturer like Atari or Commodore or Nintendo (from within the ROMs section). Then look for the folder called Single-Download-Mega-Packs, inside this folder you will find any and all current roms packs for this manufacturer.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby infamousdevil » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:12 pm

New Unlimited member here and first off, just want to say THANK YOU very much for what you do. Your site is quite amazing and extremely thorough! :clap:

However, I have but one simple request. Perhaps Unlimited users could utilize an FTP site in which we could connect, see the directories, and in a few simple clicks (dependent upon the FTP client we utilize) we could download entire directories of ROMs. I've been trying to download the MAME .155 Rom set, and was having SOME luck with [redacted], but now I can't seem to get it to login with my Unlimited User Credentials and download at the faster speed with multiple simultaneous downloads. :headbang:

Having an FTP site that's only accessible by Unlimited users shouldn't be too difficult to implement and would make things so much easier for the end users.

I know you are in the works of revamping the site with new functionality...and if you'd rather not open up an FTP, that's entirely understandable and I'll just be patient. :bow2:
Last edited by Kherr on Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: removed name of a download manager that is achieving some success in working with the site
infamousdevil
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Fav System: SNES

Postby Kherr » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:36 am

infamousdevil wrote:New Unlimited member here and first off, just want to say THANK YOU very much for what you do. Your site is quite amazing and extremely thorough! :clap:

However, I have but one simple request. Perhaps Unlimited users could utilize an FTP site in which we could connect, see the directories, and in a few simple clicks (dependent upon the FTP client we utilize) we could download entire directories of ROMs. I've been trying to download the MAME .155 Rom set, and was having SOME luck with [redacted], but now I can't seem to get it to login with my Unlimited User Credentials and download at the faster speed with multiple simultaneous downloads. :headbang:

Having an FTP site that's only accessible by Unlimited users shouldn't be too difficult to implement and would make things so much easier for the end users.

I know you are in the works of revamping the site with new functionality...and if you'd rather not open up an FTP, that's entirely understandable and I'll just be patient. :bow2:

Hi infamousdevil,

We frown upon download clients here as they usually tend to eat up all of the bandwidth as we generally get a lot of people all trying the same thing at the same time and it makes the site extremely slow for everyone, including download speeds. Whatever luck you might be having at this time with any download manager is purely coincidental and you should stop trying to do that at this time. This is also why we don't have an FTP enabled as most users would abuse said download managers from a web browser standpoint, or by having thousands of users all downloading entire libraries at the same time with their FTP client of choice. Hot Trout is currently in the process of making the new version of the site which (and here's to hoping) should be ready by the end of this year, but don't quote me as I'm not qualified to state when it will release or what his status is on it. This new version of the site will enable Unlimited users to download entire libraries either at once or sequentially in just a couple of clicks, and that is one of many new features Hot Trout has stated will be coming with the new version of the site. I know I can't wait for it. :freakout:

Please don't think I'm just being mean because I'm not trying to be rude or deter you from the site, but please stop using any download managers for the time being at least for the reasons stated above, because others will start trying again (due to aforementioned minor success you stated you have had above) and in turn the site will become horridly slow again and nobody wants that.

Aside from the above, I'm very glad you're willing to wait for the new version of the site because we are all very excited for its release as well. Please enjoy your time here as we all love this place a lot and love it even more when others love it too. :hi:
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby jsicuran » Mon Feb 01, 2016 2:17 am

Alzabo wrote:You will have to wait for Hot Trout to finish v2 of the website which will enable multiple downloads.... Hopefully by the end of this year...

Sounds good, long time IT person from early 80s and video gamer since late 70s, new to this site and forum. I like the site and hopefully it is "one stop" for all things old computer and video games emulation. I too am looking forward to the mame mega pack or ability for multiple downloads or "click box" selection. That would be great. I am, however, not sold on the bitcoin piece yet. I want to donate for unlimited status but not through bitcoin.

Great site btw keep up the great work...
jsicuran

Fav System: Atari all consoles/Arcade

Postby Kherr » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:27 pm

jsicuran wrote:I too am looking forward to the mame mega pack or ability for multiple downloads or "click box" selection. That would be great.

I tell you what, I absolutely cannot wait until the new site is completed because I cannot wait to select entire libraries to download at once. That is gonna be so awesome when it's finished! :freakout:

jsicuran wrote:I am, however, not sold on the bitcoin piece yet. I want to donate for unlimited status but not through bitcoin.

Great site btw keep up the great work...

I know the feeling bud, I have never used BitCoin before, but never fear as we are always keeping our eyes open for another alternative that involves using normal payment methods.

Thanks for the positive feedback, we appreciate it! :hi:
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Return to Your Comments, Suggestions and Polls