Mame 0.148 Rom Complete Pack

Having a problem downloading or using a ROM. Place your questions here.

Mame 0.148 Rom Complete Pack

Postby quazl » Thu Feb 19, 2015 10:03 pm

I understand that the only Full packs are older sets. I am trying to make a perfect set of 0.148 for ShmupMame 4.2.

I just paid 15 dollars and the idea of downloading one by one is just ridiculous. What am i missing? What are my options?

Why aren't there megapacks for more than the really old versions?
quazl
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 5

Fav System: Xbox

Re: Mame 0.148 Rom Complete Pack

Postby Kherr » Fri Feb 20, 2015 5:36 am

Well, for starters, it takes disk space to store those mega packs, and by storing mega packs we're keeping two complete sets (one set of individual files and one set in a completed mega-pack). MAME sets are historically very, very large sets and we just can't afford the disk space to host a mega-pack for everything I'm afraid. :(

I'm not saying this to deter you, but what I do have is good news. Here in the near future the site is going to be undergoing an upgrade that will allow Unlimited members the ability to download multiple roms at a time or even complete sets, without the need for mega-packs. So if you can bear with us for some time, you'll get the features you're looking for and more. :hi:

In the meantime however, this set is only 1.55 GB in size, is there a way we can make a mega-pack version of this HT?
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Next LVL Up at : 1800

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Postby quazl » Fri Feb 20, 2015 3:05 pm

Thanks for the response.

That sounds pretty cool.

Maybe a better question would be this:

I have a full .158 and the rollback rom pack as well. I have the dat file for .148. I should be able to create the .148 set with a rom manager, shouldn't I?

Have you ever recreated an old Rom Set before? Do you know if it is possible?

Thanks again for the response. Don't worry about getting the pack together for me. I will wait until you guys upgrade. :)
quazl
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby quazl » Fri Feb 20, 2015 9:26 pm

Just wanted to update this thread with my success and hopefully help those that are trying to recreate older Rom sets for certain emulators, phones, tablets, or whatever. This could also help TheOldComputer with logistics for users who don't want the most up to dat romsets.

I wanted a perfect set of Roms for the lagless drivers for Shmupmame 4.2. I am going to illustrate how I did this with the full set of .158 and the needed .148.

1. Grab clrmamepro 4.016
Code: Select all
http://mamedev.emulab.it/clrmamepro/index.htm

2. Use one of the full sets ABOVE the version that you want. In this case I am using 0.158.
3. Grab the desired Mame dat file for the version that you want to create.
http://www.progettosnaps.net/dats/
3. You will need to find the rollback romset that matches the full version that you have.
4. First do a normal scan of your roms with the dat file that you want to create with clrmamepro. Guide
http://www.mameworld.info/easyemu/clrmameguide/clrmame-guide.html

5. Then do a rebuild with clrmamepro. This is where it was hard for me to understand.
6. Your destination folder is where your newly scanned romset lives.
7. The source is the location of the rollback romset.
8. After the rebuild then do another rebuild, but point the source to your backup clrmamepro directory. This is where clrmamepro put the "excess" roms after the initial scan of the 0.158 romset.
9. Rescan and you will have a perfect set of 0.148.

This is an 10,000 foot view of this procedure because it would take a few pages to completely document this process. If you have any questions I can provide more details. The hard part for me was understanding the inner-workings of how the rebuild process worked. Just remember that the source is where you are pulling from to add to your destination. In this case it is the rollback romset.

The even more difficult part is separating only the lagless drivers and their respective roms from the full 0.148 set. This is much too complicated to explain due to the manual editing of XML files.

~Q
quazl
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby Kherr » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:57 am

Good on you quazl! What you said was pretty much all in Greek to me but that's because I don't understand anything about the MAME emulator or how it works with the ROMs... I usually just stick to NES, SNES, Genesis, PlayStation, and PlayStation 2. Glad you were able to work this out and find a solution, I'm sure other users will find this solution helpful as well. :hi:
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Return to Support with ROMs