WMC/WMP/IE full screen mess ups :(

PC and MAC news and discussions.

WMC/WMP/IE full screen mess ups :(

Postby GozmitJosh » Thu May 23, 2013 3:59 pm

When i go view a video fullscreen streaming like youtube or a video on my computer half of the screen will be purple and/or green color and the other half (left side) will be playing the video but tinted to whatever color the right side is.

But this problem ONLY happens when i view videos full screen and only when using microsoft software, such as windows media center, windows media player, and internet explorer. All other browsers and video players run fine as usual. Chrome/firefox, VLC media player, XBMC...etc..etc all run fine in fullscreen.

Already cleared my cache, temporary internet files, junk files, history on my browsers, reinstalled flash, video drivers, turned off windows media features and turned them on, installed codec packs, tested in safe mode with and without networking with VLC and that worked, tested HDMI cable, used a different HDMI cable, moved the file to a different drive, checked for drive errors.

What now?

All windows updates and driver updates have been double checked and installed to their latest version, and i even went back a few versions and still no avail >.>

$10 donation to theoldcomputer if this problem gets solved here :P

EDIT: i can't do a full screen screenshot either to show you what the video(s) look like.
GozmitJosh
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 170

Fav System: Playstation 1

Re: WMC/WMP/IE full screen mess ups :(

Postby Hot Trout » Thu May 23, 2013 4:17 pm

Uninstall your current CODEC pack and install this one instead

http://www.filehippo.com/download_klite_mega_codec/

If that does not work then your video card might have a fault but this is unlikely because VLC is working.
Let me know how you get on.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby GozmitJosh » Thu May 23, 2013 4:34 pm

uninstalled and installed that codec pack which happened to be the exact same one i had installed lol

since it only happens with windows media player? is direct X at all affecting this?

i did just go and open dxdiag and see if there were any errors there, first it shows no problems found but when i run the 64-bit dxdiag version i get this under the video tab...

The file nvd3dumx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvwgf2umx.dll,nvd3dum,nvwgf2um,nvwgf2um is not digitally signed, which means that it has not been tested by Microsoft's Windows Hardware Quality Labs (WHQL). You may be able to get a WHQL logo'd driver from the hardware manufacturer.

not sure if that has always been there or not. I can run everything else fine on my computer, games run fullscreen and all.
GozmitJosh
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby SE7EN » Thu May 23, 2013 9:29 pm

give us full computer specs so we can better assist you :) if it indeed a driver issue, then it seems you have an nvidia card (just a guess by all the nvxxxxxx files in dxdiag) and you can enter some info here:
Code: Select all
http://www.nvidia.com/Download/index.aspx?lang=en-us
and get the most current WHQL driver. if it happens to not be a NV card you are running, or if it doesn't solve the problem, I will try to further help you when you post more info.
SE7EN
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Next LVL Up at : 230

Fav System: Nintendo 64

Postby GozmitJosh » Thu May 23, 2013 9:49 pm

Operating System
Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit SP1
CPU
Intel Quad Core i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
RAM
Type DDR3
Size 8192 MBytes
Channels # Dual
Motherboard
Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
Model P8Z77-V LK (LGA1155)
BIOS Version 1001 Date 2/1/2013
Graphics
2048MB GeForce GTX 660 Ti
2048MB GeForce GTX 660 Ti
Driver Version 320.18
SLI disabled
Hard Drives
OCZ-SOLID3 120GB
Seagate ST3120813AS 120GB
External 1TB WD Drive
DVD Drives
Virtual Drive by Deamon for mounted roms/games
External Bluray Drive
Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio
ManyCam Virtual Microphone
HD Webcam C270
Bluetooth Hands-free Audio
NVIDIA High Definition Audio
ATSC PC150-U
Peripherals
Logitech HD Webcam C270
Logitech K750 Wireless Solar Keyboard
Logitech M570 Wireless Trackball Mouse
Network
ASUS PCE-N15 11n Wireless LAN PC

Already checked the latest driver from Nvidia and installed the WHQL version 320.18 and have tried with SLI off and on and have reset all nvidia driver settings and did a clean installation of the new driver, uninstalled the old one then installed the new version.
GozmitJosh
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby SE7EN » Fri May 24, 2013 12:25 am

check the physical GPU to make sure properly seated (probably not that, as other programs work fine) and check your temperatures. try to stress your gpu with a very visually-stunning game to see if any artifacts present themselves. I am very intrigued, as this is usually an 'all the time' problem that happens to laptops, being dropped or the inner cables weakening. being SLI, I am assuming a desktop? anyways, see if dxdiag still errors. there should also be an option in the klite to reset all options, that may fix some stuff that a reinstall could have missed. if you are on a desktop, physically remove the main card and switch the bottom to the top and try it single card for a longshot. it almost sounds like some dx-modifying program/dll has gotten ahold of your system somehow and is in split-screen comparison mode, (very doubtful, but maybe you have tried sweetfx, enbseries, etc lately?) if you have access to it (usb/disc) maybe a linuxlivecd would be useful to see if it has any problems.
barring all above, you may have to (i know, ugh) reinstall windows. start disconnected from the internet, and try these troublesome programs before installing drivers. if they have issues, it is either your media is corrupted somehow (installation disc or files) or a hardware issue (probably the media). if they are fine, slowly reinstall your drivers then programs, checking after each for the problems.

edit: change your resolution, see if that alters anything....
SE7EN
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby GozmitJosh » Fri May 24, 2013 1:23 am

Yeah it's a desktop i built myself, and my temps are all normal, i have never had them over heat once even after heavy gameplay for hours sometimes. I get good airflow out of the case. I have tried those enbseries and sweetfx mods but that was months ago and only for a few days and then got rid of skyrim and havent used anything like that since lol

changing resolutions does not help
and i took out my primary 660 ti card and switched over to my secondary one i have installed. And checked all my wires they are all fit in snuggly.

Now i notice when i use the HDMI output i get the mess up i am having but when i use the DVI output from my computer to my tv using the same resolution (1920x1080), using the same graphic driver from nvidia it goes away and everything works fine.

Soooo....i could be wrong but im sure that it's unlikely BOTH of my graphics cards are faulty using HDMI so it cant be them.

Now my tv is just a few months old, under one year and switching to the different HDMI ports on it doesn't help but i can play my other games and everything fine so i doubt it's the tv.

Also i am no longer getting that "WHQL" message in DXDIAG like before everything reports "No Problems Found".

Now im stuck as to where to look lol.
GozmitJosh
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby SE7EN » Fri May 24, 2013 3:03 am

Alright. this is going to be a longshot, but bear with me. when something goes to fullscreen, sometimes for a brief second, no transmissions are made, and for that brief second, your tv maybe not sending a signal back to your pc. try covering hdmi pin 19, which might block the signal that it is 'unplugged' from going through, keeping windows from looking for an EDID which could maybe be sending the wrong signal/resolution to your tv. the issue now will be to get your pc to recognize this 'new' device without the pin. you will need to use another display, a different input (like dvi) for the same tv, or remote viewing, like teamviewer from another device (laptop, etc) if it works, it should stay fixed until you remove the tape.
SE7EN
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Postby GozmitJosh » Fri May 24, 2013 3:29 am

That may actually be the problem.

I've made a little progress though, with you saying it could be the tv and the "back signal" i decided i would reset my tv's default settings, since i use it as a monitor i upped thew brightness a little and other various settings.

And after doing that i can go fullscreen with WMP and WMC without having that one second delay flicker that i had been getting, which makes sense if you look at that no transmissions were being sent for one second theory.

Now there are no half screens but i do have a slight distortion in color based on the brightness in the video. Where a light is shining brightly theres a pinkish hue, reminds me of when you try to run Myst 2 (Riven) on windows 7 and you get all those funky colors :P

Or if you shined a light on your arm the bright part would be the distortion.
I'll continue to mess with the tv settings to see what happens.
GozmitJosh
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby GozmitJosh » Fri May 24, 2013 6:51 am

lol, well, just went to go watch some simpsons before bed, and the problem seemed to have worked itself out :idk:

:hi: :good:

Not really sure why though as i haven't done anything but eat an entire pint of ice cream lol
GozmitJosh
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Return to Modern Computing