MAME help

Having a problem downloading or using an Emulator. Not sure which Emulator to use. Post your questions here.

MAME help

Postby phantom309 » Tue Jul 10, 2012 11:41 am

Hey guys,
Its been awhile since Ive been on the site,things are looking good.Seems like trout is staying busy updating everything to say the least.

On to the problem - Last night I took an interest in mame,and tried to get it up and running only to figure out its def not as easy as Id hoped.There are no instructions,and the supposed help file included with mame is very vague.

When attempting to dl the em itself,I had 2 choices..mame version.xxx or mame ui.Do you need both the ui and the other file,or just one?Further,if you need both how do you tie the 2 together?

I did manage to figure out from the help file how to drop the roms into the rom folder for mame,and downloaded a test file to see if i could get the em to function.I tried to use altered beast as the test game,but there are multiple files associated with this one game.Again,do you need all or one?I tried with a single file,and even tried downloading diff ones but always get the same error when attempting to run the rom.."The game is missing one or more rom or CHD images,please select a diff game".

My apologies for not being as savvy as most here,but any help would be greatly appreciated.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
phantom309
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 15

Fav System: PS1-3,Nes,SNES

Re: MAME help

Postby mirkomick » Tue Jul 10, 2012 1:45 pm

If I remember correctly, the UI version should have everything you need already included. As for the Roms, the ones I have are both, one file (which contains the needed files) or more than one file. If you put all your roms in one directory and tell mame to import this directory, everything should be fine (you can make subdirectories for each game).

But I also remember to not being able to start all the roms I have, and I didn't look into it s ofar (been years already :-))

tl;dr Put all Altered beast files in one directory and tell mame to use this - should work
mirkomick
Next LVL Up at : 25
Next LVL Up at : 25

Fav System: Amstrad CPC 464, PC

Re: MAME help

Postby phantom309 » Mon Jul 16, 2012 7:47 am

Thx for the info on that Mirk,much appreciated.

I still couldnt get it to work,but I think Ill just lay it to rest as I dont have the patience for continued trial and error on these things.

Take care.
"The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." - Thomas Jefferson
phantom309
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Fav System: PS1-3,Nes,SNES

Return to Support with Emulators