PC Emulator Help

Having a problem downloading or using an Emulator. Not sure which Emulator to use. Post your questions here.

PC Emulator Help

Postby Clereen » Mon Oct 29, 2012 11:28 pm

I am a new member of this website and I came here because I saw I could play Windows98 games! XD I always used to love my old PC games but now I have a new computer I can't run them <:C. Now I found this webiste but I have got totally confused by all the options for PC emulators you have. 0_0 Which type do I use and which one of those is best? I see lots of things I don't know what they are as I am not a very techy person. It says 'Bochs' 'DBox' and 'DOSBox' and within them are countless different versions I just don't know what to do. Please help.

So to recap, I want to find the best emulator to play Windows98 ROMS. I am using a Windows Vista if that helps. Please reply soon. thankyou.
Clereen
Next LVL Up at : 5

Fav System: GameCube

Re: PC Emulator Help

Postby Dragon Mech » Tue Oct 30, 2012 11:22 am

welcome to our community :) . we could better help you if you could tell us what operating system that you are useing and what game(s) you are trying to play.
Site Moderator
For the Glory of the Gamer Nation!
Dragon Mech
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Next LVL Up at : 630
Next LVL Up at : 630

Fav System: Too many to list here :D

Postby Clereen » Tue Oct 30, 2012 5:25 pm

I am using a Microsoft Vista laptop and I want to play Windows98 ROMS and so I would like to know what Windows98 emulator I should use for this (any games really but I am particulerly interested in 'Simon the Sorcerer' and 'Sam and Max'). If you need to know anything about my graphics card I'm afraid I have no idea how to find that as my computer is a master at hiding its info from me. It tells me basics but no detail. That is all I can give you. Sorry if that doesn't help
Clereen

Fav System: GameCube

Postby SE7EN » Tue Oct 30, 2012 7:50 pm

This post might assist you in finding out some of your computer's info As far as emulator, I would personally use DosBox as it is the only one I have heard of, and try the most recent version first. That would be version .74 http://www.theoldcomputer.com/emulators ... SBox-v0.74
In case this emulator (or another one) does not work with your hardware or Operating System, I would try a previous version, going down a whole number (before or after the decimal (.) in the version number) in this case it would be going from a .7x version to a .6x version (0.74 to 0.65) as those are usually more significant changes than the other number changes (ex. .74 to .73) If trying a few different versions does not work, try a different emulator altogether. Most current emulators have good compatibility, and 'best' is mostly a matter of preference by user - only occasionally will one actually be all-around better than all others.
SE7EN
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Next LVL Up at : 230
Next LVL Up at : 230

Fav System: Nintendo 64

Postby Clereen » Wed Oct 31, 2012 10:35 am

I will try all that. thankyou very much for your help :3
Clereen