What do you think of membership charges? Have your say here.

This is the general discussion forum. Please check that your topic would not be better suited to another forum before posting in here. MOD's will move any incorrectly placed topic.

What do you think of membership charges

No charges are acceptable. Very Bad idea.
24%
A small monthly or reoccuring fee would be acceptable.
13%
An appropriate one off fee would be acceptable.
60%
A charge per download would be acceptable.
3%

Total votes : 75

Re: What do you think of membership charges? Have your say h

Postby sci » Fri Dec 21, 2018 6:41 am

Hi Hot Trout. Place advets all over your site. Your lifetime payment isn't tenable. Not @ 200.00 a month cost to you. Perhaps scale back on the speed. That way it will take however long to download as it will. People will get less at a time, will hang around longer and your costs will be reduced. They will understand. Where else are they going to go? You might combine sites with someone else? Split the cost. Finally, hire a lobbyist from the states. Those basticks can get payments from a rock! :headbang:
sci
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 25

Fav System: Not Sure

Postby Hot Trout » Fri Dec 21, 2018 5:19 pm

sci wrote:Hi Hot Trout. Place advets all over your site. Your lifetime payment isn't tenable. Not @ 200.00 a month cost to you. Perhaps scale back on the speed. That way it will take however long to download as it will. People will get less at a time, will hang around longer and your costs will be reduced. They will understand. Where else are they going to go? You might combine sites with someone else? Split the cost. Finally, hire a lobbyist from the states. Those basticks can get payments from a rock! :headbang:

I know what you are saying makes sense but as long as I can get enough to cover the costs and afford some development then that is enough. This is and never was intended to make money, it is done for the love of collecting old games, system, software and our computing and gaming history. Thats what I love and I know the main members here also love.

Thank you.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby sci » Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:43 am

Hot Trout wrote:
sci wrote:Hi Hot Trout. Place advets all over your site. Your lifetime payment isn't tenable. Not @ 200.00 a month cost to you. Perhaps scale back on the speed. That way it will take however long to download as it will. People will get less at a time, will hang around longer and your costs will be reduced. They will understand. Where else are they going to go? You might combine sites with someone else? Split the cost. Finally, hire a lobbyist from the states. Those basticks can get payments from a rock! :headbang:

I know what you are saying makes sense but as long as I can get enough to cover the costs and afford some development then that is enough. This is and never was intended to make money, it is done for the love of collecting old games, system, software and our computing and gaming history. Thats what I love and I know the main members here also love.

Thank you.

I do understand. You have a beautiful website. BUT, with the extra money you could have money for a rainy day (so to speak). You could have some really nice giveaways/contests. You don't have to pocket the money. I for one would not care for the point system. Too much like secondary school. Or PBS here in the states. I click on some of the various Ads on websites I like because I know they need and appreciate it, and it costs nothing but a bit of time. OK I promise I'll no longer harp on the subject. (Shhhhh..., Ads are the way to go.... :silent: )
sci
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby Dragon Mech » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:55 pm

alot of people have atleast one ad blocker installed in their browser now days. so what ever revenue the HT would get from ads wouldn't be as much as you might think.
and having a ton ads would drive some users (and non-dedicated members) away. also, slowing down download speeds would negativly impact our lower income members, as well as discourage the downloading of large files.
Site Moderator
For the Glory of the Gamer Nation!
Dragon Mech
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Next LVL Up at : 630
Next LVL Up at : 630

Fav System: Too many to list here :D

Postby Kherr » Fri Mar 29, 2019 12:50 am

sci wrote:I do understand. You have a beautiful website. BUT, with the extra money you could have money for a rainy day (so to speak). You could have some really nice giveaways/contests.

We don't really have enough revenue for hosting giveaways (even if we implemented ads), and at one point we were giving away a free unlimited account for life every month but no one showed any interest. You can see the remnants down the list of boards if you look.

sci wrote:You don't have to pocket the money.

We don't. All revenue from donations and from once upon a time when we had ads, all of it goes into funding the server directly. None of us, including the owner, make any profit from the site. We are non-profit.

sci wrote:I click on some of the various Ads on websites I like because I know they need and appreciate it, and it costs nothing but a bit of time. [...] (Shhhhh..., Ads are the way to go.... :silent: )

I'm sure they appreciate that, and if we had any ads I'm sure we would too, but In my opinion (and I'd like to be clear here, in no way does my opinion reflect how we operate TOC or upon what Hot Trout believes), speaking unofficially for a second, I feel that ads are not the way to go if you can afford to go without them, and we can. I'm sure everyone that visits us is eternally grateful that we're not that ROM site that goes balls deep in ads and voting.

I understand that it's how other sites make their revenue and that's fine if that's how they want to operate, but as you can see we buck that trend. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything bad about the other sites as they need to do what they need to do to stay alive, but we've had such positive feedback since we removed the ads and we like it this way.
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Next LVL Up at : 1800
Next LVL Up at : 1800

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Postby Hot Trout » Fri Mar 29, 2019 6:03 pm

Thank you Kherr, point well made. We have never follow the other sites, we are not here to make money and we don't have adds. What other website, anywhere can say that. We might just be the only website on the internet that does not have an advert of any type. Just for reference I get asked all the time to place adverts, I just refuse.

Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby neriima » Fri Mar 27, 2020 6:44 pm

I think, maybe it would be a good idea to make something like a VIP content? Some prevelegues
neriima
Next LVL Up at : 5

Postby Hot Trout » Sun Mar 29, 2020 1:45 pm

neriima wrote:I think, maybe it would be a good idea to make something like a VIP content? Some prevelegues

You mean like Unlimited membership privileges for those that donate, that kind of thing?

Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby nichese50 » Wed Jun 22, 2022 9:58 am

I own a gaming site to which ive tried many ideas regards Payments and other options and ive found when it comes to parting with cash some people are tighter than a gnats nuts lol.. hellodear.in

teatv.ltd
nichese50

Previous

Return to General Discussion