What do you think of membership charges? Have your say here.

This is the general discussion forum. Please check that your topic would not be better suited to another forum before posting in here. MOD's will move any incorrectly placed topic.

What do you think of membership charges

No charges are acceptable. Very Bad idea.
24%
A small monthly or reoccuring fee would be acceptable.
13%
An appropriate one off fee would be acceptable.
60%
A charge per download would be acceptable.
3%

Total votes : 75

Re: What do you think of membership charges? Have your say h

Postby PMJPlay » Tue Aug 19, 2014 1:53 am

I tried to advise HT about this but he has limited time and the space to do this. I personally think we should only have one fully updated set for each platform (v0.154, v0.139u1, v0.37b5 and etc) that requires it, instead of having the roms spread across the site. We also can't forget that this is a preservation site and we got to save everything about emulation...
PMJPlay
Curator
Curator
Next LVL Up at : 1250
Next LVL Up at : 1250

Postby nightshade » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:56 pm

the problem with the sites like this and its been the problem since emulation started in the late 90s is the "trophy hunters" I mean all 3k+ roms at once including jap only games? that's just for bragging ... and kills bandwith ...I say if they want em all at once make em pay a separate fee other wise dl em one at a time like normal folks
"theres no point it telling me the wisdom of a fool cant and wont set me free"-new order
"its always easier and usually better to get forgiveness than permission"-various
nightshade
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 170
Next LVL Up at : 170

Fav System: all systems

Postby Hot Trout » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:32 am

nightshade wrote:the problem with the sites like this and its been the problem since emulation started in the late 90s is the "trophy hunters" I mean all 3k+ roms at once including jap only games? that's just for bragging ... and kills bandwith ...I say if they want em all at once make em pay a separate fee other wise dl em one at a time like normal folks

Interesting because the new version of this site (due in the future) does exactly that. We want to balance those that are happy to pay to get things faster against not preventing anyone from getting anything they want, even if they cannot pay. Sounds like an ideal but I think I might just have figured out a way to do it.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby nathan1974au » Sun Dec 14, 2014 12:40 pm

i have found what you have now is perfect one off charge! because all emulation should be free but there is costs to holding roms and images.
i my self like to help by talking about the old computer on hyperspin and also aussiearcade. who has laser disc's and world of wonder stuff there hard to find!
what would really help the community maybe put up a meter on how much donations you need to keep every thing running! i my self donate for a good cause! :cheers:
nathan1974au
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 10
Next LVL Up at : 10

Fav System: arcade
Steam ID: filepirate

Postby Kherr » Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:32 am

nathan1974au wrote:...maybe put up a meter on how much donations you need to keep every thing running!...

I like this idea. A lot. :ugeek:
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Next LVL Up at : 1800

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Postby devilchi » Fri Mar 20, 2015 12:18 am

I like the idea of having a donation meter to see how close you are to hitting the monthly needs. While Im a paid donator all ready I would not mind having to pay down the road for a lifetime account. I do not like the idea of tokens or credit because it means I have to worry about buying tokens or participation on things just because I need more tokens to download a rom. you will get a lot of useless reviews and comments and posts this way. Iv seen it on other sites. It would take a huge staff just to wade thru the posts alone. I guess Im kinda in a place where it don't really matter. I have almost every rom I can think of for most all of the systems. Now working on backing them all up onto bluerays. I just stop in from time to time to see how the site is going and pick up a rom or two that you may have updated that Im still searching for.
devilchi
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 25
Next LVL Up at : 25

Fav System: There is a bad one?

Postby PrincessMilissa » Sun Mar 22, 2015 6:32 pm

HARDY88AU wrote:Hey guys Hardy here, I think the points system idea sucks. We pay enough for Xbox, iTunes etc... we could easily get roms from those add infested rom sites but we choose the old computer for quality, security, support and social gaming. You bring us all together to enjoy what we love doing and to talk retro gaming. I love it I'd pay for the site but my idea is that instead of the point system you pay a $10 sign up fee and every year after that everyone pays an extra $2 or $5 per year for the same full access and faster downloads with no adds...but!! You get rid of free access. Make your site members only. And if they don't like it they can go to these add rom sites all they want. You will already have the members to pay your server bill and this way u can add more rom packs etc and we all be happy family :) Do it :mario:

-edit-

I disagree.
Last edited by Kherr on Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Edited for rude behavior towards other site members, please do not attack others for their thoughts, everyone has their opinions and they are entitled to them.
Princess Milissa Annie
PrincessMilissa
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 45
Next LVL Up at : 45

Fav System: I love Them All! :)
Steam ID: http://steamcommunity.com/id/
http://steamcommunity.com/id/" target="_new"> http://steamcommunity.com/id/.png" border=0 width=160 height=45>

Postby crustyasp46 » Fri Apr 03, 2015 1:29 am

Kherr wrote:
nathan1974au wrote:...maybe put up a meter on how much donations you need to keep every thing running!...

I guess I am the fly in the ointment on this one, my worry would be a meter of donations on a monthly basis would or could diminish donations. If the meter shows that expenses are covered early in the month, then donations could drop off with the attitude of why should I donate as their costs are covered, and then what happens if a month is really slack in donations and costs are not met?

Then there is the matter of equipment costs to replace, repair and maintain the site to the quality it is at present, and better for the future. I think a meter would limit the donations and we could end up with nothing.

We have no ads, donations keep the site alive, period!

There is no secret to what the site requires per month for the server, but , there is more expense to the site, than just offering the best damn site going for roms and emulators, and to keep it that way, my personal opinion is a meter system could help cripple the site.
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Postby Kherr » Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:03 am

crustyasp46 wrote:
Kherr wrote:

I guess I am the fly in the ointment on this one, my worry would be a meter of donations on a monthly basis would or could diminish donations. If the meter shows that expenses are covered early in the month, then donations could drop off with the attitude of why should I donate as their costs are covered, and then what happens if a month is really slack in donations and costs are not met?

Then there is the matter of equipment costs to replace, repair and maintain the site to the quality it is at present, and better for the future. I think a meter would limit the donations and we could end up with nothing.

We have no ads, donations keep the site alive, period!

There is no secret to what the site requires per month for the server, but , there is more expense to the site, than just offering the best damn site going for roms and emulators, and to keep it that way, my personal opinion is a meter system could help cripple the site.

That's actually a very good point... not to mention I thought of something myself that would be bad... The donations meter could be misconstrued as site profit by legal sources (even though it isn't) and could theoretically cause damage to the site and/or possible site takedown.

I think we shouldn't post a meter showing where donations are at now that I think about it a bit deeper. :hi:
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Postby Hot Trout » Mon Apr 13, 2015 1:20 pm

I like your post and the references to TRON, another fave film of mine. I did not yet want to reveal too much about the new website but in response to this post I will release some info for everyone to get their teeth into:-

The new website will have an internal payment system with its own credit system
ALL content will cost a number of credits each (remember that 0 is a number ;) )
Members will be able to buy credits in bulk in a single payment (like a donation) or via small monthly subscription
Members will be given a number of free credits every week
Members will be able to earn credits through site involvement
Members will be able to have credits gifted to them
ALL existing Unlimited members up to the point of the changeover will have a lot of (FOUNDER) privileges granted to them to say thank you for their support

Also in response to your point about the site functionality, interactivity and professionalism, I can tell you that the new site will be far more advanced and that all the advancement will be geared towards the members enjoyment of the site and its content.

At this stage I really can not elaborate much more as this is all a work in progress and very involved at this stage. For now please stick with the old site as I really do think you are all going to love what we are planning to do.

Heads down :killem: here come the questions :shock:
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion