What do you think of membership charges? Have your say here.

This is the general discussion forum. Please check that your topic would not be better suited to another forum before posting in here. MOD's will move any incorrectly placed topic.

What do you think of membership charges

No charges are acceptable. Very Bad idea.
24%
A small monthly or reoccuring fee would be acceptable.
13%
An appropriate one off fee would be acceptable.
60%
A charge per download would be acceptable.
3%

Total votes : 75

Re: What do you think of membership charges? Have your say h

Postby Hot Trout » Thu Apr 16, 2015 12:46 pm

I am surprised that not more people have ready my post and been asking questions. My post is major news for all members. I also have a small update, currently I hope to have something to show you all by late July early August. I will be wanting a number of you to beta test the new site long before it goes live.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby PMJPlay » Fri Apr 17, 2015 1:00 pm

Hot Trout wrote:I am surprised that not more people have ready my post and been asking questions. My post is major news for all members. I also have a small update, currently I hope to have something to show you all by late July early August. I will be wanting a number of you to beta test the new site long before it goes live.

I want in :P
PMJPlay
Curator
Curator
Next LVL Up at : 1250
Next LVL Up at : 1250

Postby Dragon Mech » Fri Apr 17, 2015 4:33 pm

count me in HT. :bowser:

but i do have one question. couldn't a monthly subscription be construed as purchasing a membership or special service from the site?
Site Moderator
For the Glory of the Gamer Nation!
Dragon Mech
Site Moderator
Site Moderator
Next LVL Up at : 630

Fav System: Too many to list here :D

Postby SonicSteeda2004 » Sat Apr 18, 2015 12:27 pm

I just happened to find this page by mistake. I'm currently learning the ins and outs of soft modding the original Xbox. I actually have 2. I swapped the HDs for bigger ones. Its been a very fun project. Let me tell you finding reliable Roms is not that easy. They are either hacked up to shit or are missing a file in the zip. This site has had in my opinion is the most reliable Roms anywhere. I'm also not playing wack a mole with all the pop ups and bullshit from other sites. The downloads here are fast and reliable. No click this ad or duping into a new shitty search bar. So in my opinion for the amount that is offered here without the garbage. Every person here should gladly pay a membership fee. Everything costs money and time. The reason you don't have pop ups is bc Hot Trout did not sell the page to advertisers. I gladly paid my donation to the page and I'd do it again. I just wish I knew how to get the 7z files to work. I hate when I see its getting downloaded I never have luck unpacking them. But anyway that is where I stand.. For the people that don't want to pay, please go to another ROM site and use that site for a day. Let us know how it works out and enjoy the malware that also comes along with it. One last thing.. With a 1 time fee for us as the buyer its great. Pay our money and were Platinum Status. Once than money is gone its gone, its good initially but long term a killer. Prices always go up and never down. I'd recocommend a 3 year, 2 year and 1 year membership max for long term. Short term go with month to month or per load. No reason to bottle neck your future.
SonicSteeda2004
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 5

Fav System: SNES

Postby Dragon Mech » Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:06 pm

1. as for your troubles with the .7z files. you need the program 7Zip. it can unpack a wide array of file types (including .7z) and is completely free. you can download both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions here:
Code: Select all
http://www.7-zip.org/

2. any sort of forced paid membership could potentially drive off any of our current members and discourage any potential new members from joining. there are many people who can not afford a paid membership to a website. either for economical, employment or age reasons . and Hot Trout has stated earlier in this thread that this site would never have a paid membership.
Site Moderator
For the Glory of the Gamer Nation!
Dragon Mech
Site Moderator
Site Moderator

Fav System: Too many to list here :D

Postby stinow » Thu May 12, 2016 2:24 pm

Hey HT,

It's been a long time. I'm totally into your idea of payments done via credits on this site.

:thumbup: :thumbup:

Main PC: Intel i5 4670K - 8gb - GTX660 - 120gb Samsung SSD - 1x 2TB sata III
Shovel Knight Aracde: Intel i3 2100, 2gb, HD4350
Donkey Kong Arcade: E6350, 2gb, HD4350, 32gb sata III stick, 1x 320gb sata II
LAN PC: Intel NUC i3, 4gb ddr3, Intel HD3000
Retro PC: P1 166mhz, 64mb, Diamond Stealth II, Voodoo 2, ATA-66 700mb
"2001 - A Retro odyssee PC": P3 S 1.4Ghz, 768mb, LeadTek GF3 Ti500, Matrox G200+ (4x dvi), 3x Seagate 40gb ATA raid 5

NES ROMs
stinow
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 460
Next LVL Up at : 460

Fav System: SNES / Dreamcast / PC

Postby Hot Trout » Thu May 12, 2016 11:41 pm

Good to hear from you again. How's life treating you?

Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Postby akator » Fri May 13, 2016 6:44 am

I wouldn't recommend a complex system. I was a member of several other communities in the past that tried points/token/credit systems and it killed off every one within a few years.

Simple is good. Straightforward paid upgrades for daily, weekly, monthly, and yearly memberships have kept online businesses going for a long time. It works for newspapers, magazines, information aggregators, library services, cloud storage, media streaming, all sort of stuff. There is really no need to change a model that is proven. Don't waste time reinventing the wheel.

Consider ditching the lifetime membership. Hey, I use it and love it, but HBO, Apple, Google, Amazon, Sling, Netflix, no one offers a lifetime membership because it is a revenue killer. I would pay $20/year when I need access especially because that means the site continues to exist.

IF bitcoin wasn't the only option, that is. Bitcoin is not something I will ever be accessing directly through my banking institutions. When there are prepaid bitcoin cards at the checkout line, maybe, but not the way it operates now. And yes, I know how bitcoin works (and also how it doesn't).
akator
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 10
Next LVL Up at : 10

Fav System: Not Sure

Postby Dexxa » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:32 pm

You said you have unlimited bandwidth then you say if you go over 1500gb you have to pay extra, who's your server with?
Dexxa

Fav System: Not Sure

Postby Hot Trout » Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:21 pm

Dexxa wrote:You said you have unlimited bandwidth then you say if you go over 1500gb you have to pay extra, who's your server with?

All of that info is out of date now. We do not have any penalties on total use now.

Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion