Nintendo Color TV Game 6

Interesting storys, rants, info clips and links to all things related to old computers, retro gaming, mods and computers. You can leave comments only in this forum.

Nintendo Color TV Game 6

Postby crustyasp46 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 3:14 pm

Color TV Game 6 is the first Color TV Game ever released. It was released only in Japan in 1977, and featured only one game; Light Tennis, which looked and played much like Pong. The game featured 6 different modes, such as the original, as well as others with different ways to play pong such as ones with obstacles. In Japan, it sold over a million copies and was successful enough to warrant a sequel titled Color TV Game 15.

Gameplay

Up to two players could play this game, though there were no detachable controllers, something Nintendo would fix in future titles. Instead, there were two knobs on the console that the players could turn to move their paddle up and down. Similar to Pong, players would hit the ball back and fourth, making sure it doesn't go past their paddle. The game had bright colors as opposed to the black and white coloring of Pong. As the game's name implies, there were six game modes, each one with a minor alteration.

Development

The Color TV Game 6 was Nintendo's first home console designed in-house. It was built in collaboration with the Mitsubishi Company after the car maker's deal with Systek fell through after their company dissolved.

Mitsubishi went to Nintendo's president Hiroshi Yamauchi in hopes of striking a deal and managed to do so successfully. Yamauchi knew that his system had to be cheap since he (accurately) assumed that the other systems on the market failed due to their steep prices. This payed off, as over 350,000 people in the country purchased a Color TV Game 6. Perhaps even more surprising is that the Color TV Game 15, which contained over twice the amount of games as the Color TV Game 6 (but at more of a cost) sold over 700,000 units in Japan.

Every CTVG6 unit sold actually lost Nintendo money. Apparently, in order to accumulate a profit, Nintendo would have had to sell the system for 12,000 yen. In order to find away around this, the Color TV Game 15 which, as previously indicated, sold around twice the amount as the Color TV Game 6, was released alongside it. The Color TV Game 15 featured nine more games, detachable controllers and a slicker design.

Eventually it appears as if Nintendo succeeded in lowering the cost of development since they reduced the price of the Color TV Game 6 to 5,000 yen and included an AC adapter.
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Re: Nintendo Color TV Game 6

Postby aamritha » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:29 am

Is the black nintendo ds lite really hard to look after? Im getting a nintendo ds lite in a couple of weeks and I want to make sure i get the right colour. Are the fingerprints really visible on the black one? Will it be a hassle to keep cleaning it? Or should i get the white one even though it will get dirtier? Im getting a 15 in 1 accessory pack which has a case and everything I need. The bundle comes with either nintendogs, brain training or picross or drawn to life(more expensive) which one out of those should i pick and why?
aamritha
Next LVL Up at : 5
Next LVL Up at : 5

Fav System: Not Sure

Postby Roman78 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:54 am

Wasn't Magnavox earlier whit there Odyssey?
Roman78
Next LVL Up at : 110
Next LVL Up at : 110

Fav System: EACA Video Genie I

Postby gamfrkI » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:26 am

Roman78 wrote:Wasn't Magnavox earlier whit there Odyssey?

it was but this the first console made by nintendo

gamfrkI
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 1050
Next LVL Up at : 1050

Fav System: PC - 3DS - PS2 - N64
Steam ID: gamfrkI

Return to Retro Computer Ramblings BLOG