My first ever blog

Interesting storys, rants, info clips and links to all things related to old computers, retro gaming, mods and computers. You can leave comments only in this forum.

My first ever blog

Postby crustyasp46 » Fri Nov 26, 2010 7:59 pm

Being asked to write a blog on retro gaming and computing, was easy to say yes to, but actually doing so caused my mind to go blank.

Heck, I am no expert in either area, I have not even learned how to text on my cell phone.

I am, however, avid about saving and preserving the retro scene, in both computing and gaming. I consider myself a novice collector, and do so at yard sales, give away sites on the net, and from those willing to donate their old games, systems and computers. ( I call them care packages). I seldom make a purchase as I am not sure of values, not to say I don"t window shop and sigh, and mark them in my mental wish list.

I also spend a lot of time searching the web for information on items that I receive. Because, quite honestly, I don't know what a lot of the items are or their purpose is until I search the web.

In my search for information, I occasionally find something I think would be of interest to others here at The Old Computer, and submit it.

From doing so, and much to my surprise, I have been asked to do some blogs on some of the articles I have submitted.

Hopefully I can do so in an interesting and sometimes entertaining way. To quote Hot Trout when he started his blog:

"I have for better or worse decided to start a blog for the website. During a normal day, I often scan the web for retro gaming and computing material and on my way stumble across many weird and cool stuff. I guess this is the best place to spill my brain farts to. I don't expect you to enjoy it but I do expect you to comment.

Let the junk begin and the madness set in."

Having read that, I wish that Hot Trout would have had more time to blog, as I am sure that I at least have missed much.

Closing off, I would ask everyone, if you find something of interest, submit it as a blog. If you can not do that PM me a link and I will try a blog about it.

All blogs will have to be submitted for review, and keep in mind that the blogs should be concise, well written, with embedded pictures if possible and very few if any outside links.

If you blog please PM it to me.

Thanks in advance to those who contribute.

And just one last question for HT, "Don't you wish you were back in the day--- when at least there were a few that were normal?'

Back to gaming boys and girls. :typing: :greenscreen:
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Re: My first ever blog

Postby Hot Trout » Fri Nov 26, 2010 10:16 pm

Congrats and I am looking forward to this project. :thankyou:
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby JAHGoVeg » Sat Nov 27, 2010 12:55 am

YAY, Crusty!
That's me
JAHGoVeg
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 850
Next LVL Up at : 850

Fav System: SNES

Postby RRicci » Sat Mar 12, 2011 7:21 pm

Some random thoughts on the retro scene:

Most retro sites seem to just focus on games while more serious subjects such as programming and memory maps as well as serious software sch as word processing and utilities are out on the back burner. I realize that this stuff isn't as sexy as games, but I feel that this stuff should also be preserved for future generations. I like seeing how computers have evolved over the past 30 years.

I also like hearing memories from days past and also reading the old hacking text "philes". I also like seeing the crack scenes from the Commodore 64 (even though I didn't own one). All of this should be preserved while we still can.
RRicci
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 60
Next LVL Up at : 60

Postby crustyasp46 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:16 pm

I agree totally, there is so much to preserve, whether sexy or eye catching to a blog or not. I am totally amazed at what I run across on the web about retro gaming and computing, the hacks, the mods and the programming abilities of those back in the day.

The one thing I am discovering on my waltzes of surfing the net, is the amount of fresh new games, and the modding of the retro that still exists today. Although this aspect is rapidly dwindling as the great minds of these old systems age.

Another sad note are the number of sites that have disappeared totally, or have ceased to be maintained. This makes me sad when I run across so many dead links. It always leaves me wondering what have I missed here?

But on a happier note, anyone can submit to the blog with either Hot Trouts or my approval of the article. We welcome participation. And are always in the hunt for good submissions. Thanks.
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy

Return to Retro Computer Ramblings BLOG