Sony Xperia Arc

Technical Support for Mobile/Cell phones, PDS's and other handheld devices other than Apple. Android, Symbian.

Sony Xperia Arc

Postby Hot Trout » Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:30 pm

Guys,

I was looking at the Sony Xperia ARC today and was very impressed with the power, size and lightness of this phone over something like the HTC Desire HD.

What I was wondering is, would it be possible to replace the standard OS with a straight up version of Ginegrbread? Would this make better use of the phone? or would it not be possible because it is hardware specific?

Just wondering and thought some of you young'ens might know :bow2:
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Re: Sony Xperia Arc

Postby te_lanus » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:02 pm

Hi HT

Seems it is possible Found these on the net
So, to recap: Sony Ericsson has confirmed that it will grant users access to the bootloader on its new Xperia devices, which includes the Xperia Play, Neo, Arc and Pro. - http://www.knowyourmobile.com/blog/829755/sony_ericssons_welcomes_custom_roms_on_xperia_range.html

The system dump is now available for the Sony Ericsson Xperia Arc. If your planning on using it then you can find the official developer download here.

I say the official one as the developer who got it wants people to download it from there as then he knows the download count for it. If you want more information about the system dump for the Xperia Arc then you can get more information on the XDA Thread. But anyway, happy downloading and modding.
te_lanus
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 670
Next LVL Up at : 670

Fav System: Everything 1980-2000

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:36 pm

I would hold off on doing anything HT. I just found out over the weekend that people who root their phones are basically being identified and stored in a database. Lemme find the article. It explains alot and im stuck in this boat..

I am currently running Gingerbread and while its nice, I dont think its worth the risk right now of loosing service from your provider because you violated the TOS. This is a bunch of crap but the article explains alot.

Found it. So you dont have to follow the link here it is:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is not necessarily the type of subject we like to begin a new week with, but as I can tell from my inbox and Twitter feed, many of you are looking for our opinion on thismatter. Over the weekend, our buddy P3droid put out a memoir of sorts on the future of the rooting scene on Android which dove into subjects like bootloaders and how carriers plan to stop you from ever fully enjoying your device. The knowledge he shared scared the hell out of many of you, and to tell you the truth, it should. The details he presented over the weekend are ones that he’s been whispering in my ear for months now, so to see him go public with them, I can assure you that he means business.

So what did he say? (I’ll do my best to sum it all up for you.)

1 - July 2010: Rumors started flying that Motorola was working on ways to make rooting much more difficult than in the past by tweaking the kernel. Fortunately for us, Froyo on the DX was rooted and life went on. (Note: This was also the first time we really saw a locked bootloader here on U.S. soil.)

2 - October 2010: Word began to leak out that locked bootloaders would become the norm and not just from Motorola devices; other manufacturers were jumping into the game and were probably being pushed by carriers. The motivation behind this new carrier stance was theft of service by rooted users, the return of non-defective devices due to consumer fraud, and the use of non-approved firmware on the networks.

3 - December 2010: Multiple carriers began to test a service that would allow them to identify rooted users and create a database of their MEIDs. New security features were also being baked into stock ROMs on devices such as identifying rooted phones and throttling those that were tethering illegally.

4 - March 2011: Verizon and another major carrier seem to be tracking rooted phones by seeing who has not accepted updates. They also seem to be doing this as of right now, meaning you could be on their list if you have a rooted device. New builds for phones will include a tracking code which if removed, could potentially leave your phone lifeless without data or voice access. The overall goal here is for carriers to lock down devices tighter than ever, but then provide 1-2 dev devices each year for those of us that wish to actually enjoy our phones.

If that doesn’t give you enough detail, you can read the full writeup at My Droid World.

My thoughts?

This isn’t surprising at all. Do I think we should all freak out? Not…yet. It was only a matter of time before the freedom we’ve enjoyed on Android started to fade away as all of these carriers realized that “open” isn’t necessarily good for their bottom lines. With data theft (tethering for free) more than likely climbing by the minute and bloatware contracts flooding handsets, it’s almost shocking that this didn’t happen sooner. The cell phone business hasn’t always been the most consumer-friendly, so why should we expect it to be now?

If P3 is right, and we see a couple of developer devices each year that will be unlockable, we won’t be entirely S.O.L., but I’m just wondering how top of the line they’ll be. The current time frame for the Nexus S to land on another carrier besides T-Mobile is maybe in the summer which would put that device at 7-8 months old. Locked or unlocked, I don’t want a phone that’s almost at the end of its life cycle even if it is more root-friendly. I’m just scared that carriers will offer up these “unlockable” devices, but make them no where near the level of new locked down phones in terms of specs. Ugh.

I should point out that we have no idea what Verizon or any of these others carriers plan to do with the information they are collecting about rooted users, but you can bet that we’ll know before too long. With 1-year upgrades disappearing, new 4G LTE networks and amazing high speeds taking over, and manufacturers like HTC seemingly giving into to carrier lock-down demands, it’s time to get real picky when it comes to your next phone purchase.

Source

Postby Hot Trout » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:38 pm

What do you think of the actual phone btw. Its called in the UK Sony Xperia Arc.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby Guest » Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:22 pm

Just skimmed some vids on it and checked the specs. I suppose my article is not applicable here. The Arc is already running Gingerbread. So there is no need to root and flash it lol. I like gingerbread personally and I can say first hand that it is a HUGE upgrade from 2.2 in terms of speed and how it handles on the phone (Droid X at least). The phone itself being from Sony Ericsson is promising. They usually have innovative designs and features that make me feel like im playing with a high-tech gadget.

Its a 1 GHz Snapdragon processor which is probably the only problem that I foresee with it. My reasoning is that nearly all phones right now are the 1 GHz on phones but right now newer phones are on the verge of being released that have Tegra 2 Dual-Core 1GHz. Still same GHz but dual core which means smoother. To me personally, I need a phone to be snappy. Thats why I rooted mine and have it over-clocked to 1.3 GHz (not necessary on Gingerbread though). So if smoothness and flow is important to you in a phone, then the upcoming releases are going to be the ones to look at.

Other specs did seem high end. 8.1 MP camera and HDMI out. Sounds like the Droid X to me just a little smaller screen size.

Overall: The more I read about it the more it reminds me of my Droid X. They are very similar but the Arc has Gingerbread. Also a note I want to add is that I saw no mention of this phone being 4G capable... That is also something to consider.
I like the phone and if I dint have my DX, I would probably have this.

Postby crustyasp46 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 2:15 pm

Xperia™ PLAY. The perfect playing field for your "A" game.

The best game idea you ever had can finally come to life. Focus on content without worrying about file size with V CAST Apps 1GB storage capacity. Interface with a complete gamepad. All on a network that gives you the inside track on creation, submissions, and approvals. Plus, the chance to have your V CAST App featured in thousands of retail stores, catalogs and mailers and a high-profile website.

What will you build?

Xperia™ PLAY. Next level gaming. Early delivery.

Want a chance to get your hands on the Xperia™ PLAY? To see the sliding face with a complete gamepad first hand? To learn how your games will work with the D-pad, two touchpads, and a stunning display?

Submit your game idea or app for a chance to receive your own Xperia™ PLAY.

Overview of the gamepad
How to access the touchpad
Sample source code for the touchpad

OS & SW Support: Android 2.3 "Gingerbread" ; Android API Level 9 ;
Graphics: OpenGL ES 1.0 & 2.0 ; Standard Android v2.3 Keys

Display: Stunning 480x854 resolution display ; Capacitive, Multi-Touch ; 16+M Colors

Processor: Blazing fast 1GHz Snapdragon processor ;
Leading edge Adreno 205 GPU

Multimedia; Front and rear cameras; Stereo speakers ; Multiple video and audio codecs

Memory 512 Mb RAM ; Micro SD

Connectivity High Speed EVDO 3G ; WiFi and Bluetooth ; aGPS

http://developer.verizon.com/jsps/devCe ... y.jsp#play
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Return to Support for Android Mobile Devices