How about Android **non-mobile** devices ?

Technical Support for Mobile/Cell phones, PDS's and other handheld devices other than Apple. Android, Symbian.

How about Android **non-mobile** devices ?

Postby obarthelemy » Wed May 01, 2013 10:07 pm

Hey there.

Just a quick heads up that Android is branching out from phones and tablets: Android *desktops* are now available. Well, desktop is rather misleading, most are oversize USB sticks, with HDMI out on one end, and a couple of USB ports on the other. All have wifi, some add BT, Ethernet, SPDIF, IR...

Prices start at $40 for a dual-core A9 with 1 GB RAM, 4 GB Flash, Android 4.1 + PlayStore. Double that for a quad-core A9, 2 GB RAM, 8GB Flash, BT, Android 4.2+PlayStore. A couple of specimens:
Code: Select all
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/MK808-Dual-Core-Android-4-1-Jelly-Bean-TV-BOX-Rockchip-RK3066-Cortex-A9-Mini-PC-stick-307415.html
and
Code: Select all
http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Tronsmart-MK908-Google-Android-4-1-Mini-PC-TV-Box-RK3188-Quad-Core-2G-8G-BT-Black-315155.html

Lots of customers want to game with those, but a lot of games won't run due to the lack of touch, gyroscope, BT, the landscape screen format... and support for gamepads is patchy (Android has it, but most games don't). Emulators are a popular fallback to circumvent those issues... except I'm having about as bad a hit rate with MAME ROMs as with games from the PlayStore: about 20% work well.

I've spent a whole lot of hours trying to understand the issues, and gather an OK selection of games to entertain the kids this summer. Help, in the form of tutorials (I *must* be missing something about Mame4All/Android) or pre-made lists of "stuff that works" would certainly be appreciated, and there are a handful of android-stick oriented forums where those would go down a treat.

Cheers !

Olivier
obarthelemy
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 5
Next LVL Up at : 5

Fav System: Not Sure

Return to Support for Android Mobile Devices