NJ, USA: Selling vintage/retro computer collection w/extras

Old computers, consoles, handhelds, printers, keyboards etc

Moderator: te_lanus

NJ, USA: Selling vintage/retro computer collection w/extras

Postby summerdaysands » Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:17 pm

(Every time I read what I've written, it sounds like the vintage-computing equivalent of a Nigerian email scam, or something equally improbable. That said, I'm just going to give up and post it. Let the chips fall where they may.)

My husband died recently and I am now in charge of selling his huge collection of vintage and retro computers, peripherals, software and whatnot. There is more of it than I can begin to sell piece-by-piece online, not only because of the quantity of items, but because I do not know enough about these things to even write a vaguely accurate item description. What I do know is that the lot consumes about 1/3 of the floor space of 2 storage units, not including the items in the basement and the garage. There are old Apple computers (probably a couple Apple II's, or more) a couple of LISAs (they were not well kept, in my opinion) and what I think is software for them, a couple stacks of external HDs for the old Apples (I think they take those old, flat, floppy disks, for the most part) as well as a boatload of keyboards, what I think he said was a Texas Instruments mini computer of some kind, an old Spark(sp?) station, some IBM-y things, and probably even our old Commodore 64 and 128s. There's definitely more, but I don't know what all of it is, nor can I really inventory it all, as I can't even move half of the stuff.

I know it sounds ridiculous--widow who doesn't know what she's got in storage, and all that--but it's entirely true. As I said in the subject line, I live in NJ, and the items are in a storage facility nearby. If anyone wants look over everything and buy the lot, I'm willing to give out the address of the storage place and meet them there so they can see what there is and make an offer. I have been told everything by everyone, from "it's all junk, it will never sell" by auctioneers to "you'll end up paying to get rid of it because of the batteries and CRT monitors" to "ZOMG, sell it on eBay and get rich!" :roll:

The estate closing requirements insist that I show the value received for whatever I sell, so I would provide a receipt for everything. I'd really like it if someone just bought it all rather than cherry-picking through the lot, but there really is a lot of stuff and I am sure that it would fill the floor space in a mid-sized UHaul (because I don't think you can really stack some of these things, like monitors).

If anyone in the South Jersey/Philadelphia/Wilmington DE area is interested, please let me know. It would help me settle the estate and offset the substantial cost of storage, and allow me the space to sort through the personal items I can't really get to right now.b (In the interest of everyone's comfort, it would be a bit silly not to have some company along. I'd probably bring a male family member, and any buyer should feel free to bring someone, too. The storage place has cameras everywhere, if that helps.)

I did read the forum rules, and I hope I followed them appropriately. My description is almost certainly inadequate, but it's not for lack of trying--I just don't know enough about them. :anyone:

Thanks for reading! My husband would've loved this site. (Makes me wonder if he actually had an account here....)
summerdaysands
Next LVL Up at : 10

Fav System: Not Sure

Re: NJ, USA: Selling vintage/retro computer collection w/ex

Postby Hot Trout » Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:11 pm

Well welcome to the site. It is very possible that he did have an account but we may never know. The collection sounds very interesting but alas I live in the UK and so wont be able to take part.

Another of our members has just done something similar and acquired a huge collection of hardware. So maybe someone else here might like to look at this.

Pictures might really help your cause here if you were able to take and upload some to here?
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby crustyasp46 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:09 pm

Having just acquired a mid size Uhaul van of vintage computers, and extras, my wife would kill me even if I showed the least bit of interest in your collection. I am drooling though at the thought of a Lisa, and would almost die just to see what you do have. Living in Canada this won't be possible.

I sincerely hope you find someone that will take the lot as a whole, allowing cherry picking will probably end up with you having to dispose of quite a bit yourself.

Good luck, and from the sounds of your description, it is definitely not junk.
crustyasp46
He's Everyones Daddy
He's Everyones Daddy
Next LVL Up at : 1750
Next LVL Up at : 1750

Postby TheGarrison89 » Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:47 pm

Hello,

First I would like to offer my condolences for your husband. With that in mind, thank you for finding this site/forum. I'm sure your husband would have appreciated you finding a buyer who will take care of his machines. I can only hope that when my time comes, my family does the same.

If you could please post some pictures that would be great. I would love to look at the lot but I am across the country(California). I have a few friends in Delaware that may be interested, I will send them a link to this posting.

P.S., most of us who will view this posting here are die hard retro computer enthusiasts. If one of us ends up purchasing the lot, it will be put to good use. Also, if you are able to provide enough pictures, we/I can help you identify some of what you've got. If I'm slow to respond, feel free to send me an email at: GarrisonReevesIV[AT]Gmail.com (replace [AT] with @, trying to avoid bots getting a hold of the address ;P).

Thanks and best of luck selling this collection,

- Garrison Reeves IV
TheGarrison89
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 15
Next LVL Up at : 15

Postby summerdaysands » Fri Jun 07, 2013 3:53 pm

Wow, thanks everyone. :thankyou:

I'll try to get some pics when there is some sunlight on the units. The larger one is 20 feet front to back, though, so there's no way I can get in far enough for any details. The smaller unit is a little more manageable, as are the items in the basement and garage. Sadly, we're getting rained out right now thanks to this tropical storm system, so we're under a flood watch and it's not going to clear up until sometime tomorrow. Once the weather breaks, I'll have a go at playing photographer. :)

And yeah, I'm really hoping to sell it to a collector rather than take it to one of those places that chops up electronics for the bits of copper, and whatever else they can find. He spent 20 years acquiring them, and I don't think it would feel very good to see his efforts go to waste. (I collect manga, anime and related merch, so I really couldn't complain.... But oh, boy does his stuff take up more space than mine! We lived in an apartment for a while, and I woke up every morning nose-to-screen with a computer that said Radio Shack on it. I didn't even know they'd made computers!)

Pics forthcoming, I hope. :freakout: Thanks again! :)
summerdaysands

Postby summerdaysands » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:04 pm

Hot Trout wrote:Well welcome to the site. It is very possible that he did have an account but we may never know.

I actually tried searching for his usual user names--no luck, but it's possible that there's some variant I was unfamiliar with.

I have taken your phot suggestion to heart and will give it a try later this weekend, weather permitting. :)
summerdaysands

Postby Hot Trout » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:27 pm

Great news, I have posted this to our FACEBOOK page as well and it seems to be creating a buzz there as well. Did you say there was an Apple Lisa in the collection? If so then you have some very real value. Also the SPARC station is worth money but again it all depends on the quality.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby summerdaysands » Fri Jun 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Hot Trout wrote:Great news, I have posted this to our FACEBOOK page as well and it seems to be creating a buzz there as well. Did you say there was an Apple Lisa in the collection? If so then you have some very real value. Also the SPARC station is worth money but again it all depends on the quality.

Oh, cool! The more eyes, the better. :thankyou:

I'm pretty sure there are two Lisas, but I *think* one was more of a parts machine for the other...? I don't want to be wrong, so conservatively I think that was the case. IIRC, the Spark thingy is so big it has wheels. Or maybe that was the server.... It definitely put out enough heat that he didn't need to use the radiator in the office in cold weather. Darn, but that thing ran hot. But yeah, I should try some pics. I'm sure to get some item he talked about confused with another. :freakout:
summerdaysands

Postby Kherr » Fri Jun 07, 2013 6:36 pm

summerdaysands wrote:(Every time I read what I've written, it sounds like the vintage-computing equivalent of a Nigerian email scam, or something equally improbable. That said, I'm just going to give up and post it. Let the chips fall where they may.)

What gives you away as not a spammer is the fact that it's well written and there aren't any grammatical mistakes anywhere in the entire post. That, and you've been responding to our comments. We appreciate your honesty, believe me. :hi:

With that being said, I wish I had the money and time to go down to NJ as I'm only a few hours away. I'd love to see what's in that unit. But alas, I don't have the time or money (for travel or to purchase for that matter). I can't wait for the pictures. :freakout:
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Next LVL Up at : 1800
Next LVL Up at : 1800

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Postby summerdaysands » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:50 pm

Wow! A gentleman from a non-for-profit organization called MARCH - Mid-Atlantic Retro Computing Hobbyists, dropped me a line on another board. They have dozens of members around here (NJ area) and they even have a vintage computer museum in North Jersey! I'm in touch with him and hopefully everything will work out. There *will* be pictures and an inventory. :) It only seems fair to snap some pics of things as they're unearthed, and I gather that y'all would enjoy it. :thankyou:
summerdaysands

Next

Return to For Sale : Retro Hardware