Punch Out and Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Having a problem downloading or using a ROM. Place your questions here.

Punch Out and Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Postby GAMESHARQ » Sun Jun 13, 2010 2:09 am

Punch Out and Mike Tyson's Punch Out both run very slowly on my Wiz.

If I overlock my Wiz, will it make the games run at normal speed?

I'm new to the Wiz so I'm not sure how overclocking works exactly.

On a related note, is it true that if I overlock my Wiz, it will decrease the lifespan of the device?
GAMESHARQ
Next LVL Up at : 60
Next LVL Up at : 60

Re: Punch Out and Mike Tyson's Punch Out

Postby Hot Trout » Sun Jun 13, 2010 11:15 am

Im not sure about the wiz but in general (and this comes from years of OC'ing PC's and Amigas) when you overclock any CPU it will not last as long, however the effect might not be within the timespan of the device. In other words, it might make a P4 CPU burn out in 7 years instead of 10 either way it does not matter because you are likely to have changed it in 5 years or less.

A note to remember is that there is no exact calculation to this, because no two CPU's are alike. CPU's at the point of manufacture are not exact. All have flaws and the percentage or flaws or min and maximum limits decides what CPU size that CPU is locked at to sell. When you overclock a CPU it might be within 10% of its burnout limit or 1% of its burn out limit. It might fail in several years or even several days.

In general it is safe to overclock all cpus in moderate amounts because the manufactures always keep the finished CPU within safe limits to prevent faulty CPU's and lots of returns.

Currently my Core2Quad 2.4GHz is and has been running at 2.8GHz for over a year. It will run successfully at 3GHz but the increased temp and noise is not worth it for me on a day to day basis so 2.8MHz seems to be the sweet spot.

Im rambling sorry.
Webmaster, Admin, Amiga Fan, Retro Gamer and Collector

Click the banner to Join us on Discord
Hot Trout
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 3650
Next LVL Up at : 3650

Fav System: Amiga
Steam ID: hot_trout

Postby Jesse » Sun Jun 13, 2010 6:56 pm

Yeah, as HT said, it's fine to moderately overclock. You are going to need it for some things to run well on your Wiz. And you might also want to UNDERclock it when you are playing less demanding stuff.

Just don't run it too hot for too long. I've never used a Wiz, so I don't know exactly how to go about overclocking it. Some of the Wiz emulators should have an overclocker coded into their menu that you can use, like FBA2x, choosing different clock speeds for different games.

Oh, and as for some emulators running slowly... before you overclock, look for a "frameskip" option somewhere in the menu and mess around with it, and see if that helps. I don't think the Wiz should be having problems with NES games. But I don't know. Maybe it's just the emulator you are using. I'm not really familiar with the emulators available for the Wiz.

What I do know is that the default NES emulator on the Dingoo A320/A330 is superb. :) Actually, I hear it has a problem limiting frames or something, so it runs a little faster than it should, sometimes, maybe? I haven't really noticed any inaccurate speeds so far on the games I usually play. Then again I haven't put too many hours into it...

Now I'm rambling... :P
Jesse
Unlimited Member
Unlimited Member
Next LVL Up at : 130
Next LVL Up at : 130

Postby Kherr » Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:30 pm

Jesse, play Super Mario Bros. 3 on the Dingoo and you'll understand that flaw. I have issues, my SMB3 rom that I got from here I do believe isn't running at normal speed, it's running around 125% speed which is odd because you really can't tell on the gameplay, but the music gives it away. :D
Kherr
Site Admin
Site Admin
Next LVL Up at : 1800
Next LVL Up at : 1800

Fav System: PC/NES/SNES/Genesis
Steam ID: DAKherr

Return to Support with ROMs